*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Ypu should try taking both. Would be a great make shift squat weights. Lol

DannyB513 likes this.
  2. KozE

KozE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am from Paris as well, I was planning on getting the 9700k config but it's nowhere to be found on the "WHITE" model (AZERTY keyboard).... what did you get ?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  3. firedog

firedog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry, no I don't have the messenger bag. Would also love some one with first hand experience to chime in. I'm curious on the space in it and how comfortable it is with the machine and power supplies in it. Seems like it might be a bit painful for extended use vs. a backpack.

4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Which backpack is that? My Orion M17x backpack doesn’t have a cup holder lol.

Does the old one fit the Area-51M? My Orion M17x barely fits my M18x.

5. blazkowicz009

blazkowicz009 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    But it does not work for me
    Ohh well I talked to dell and they are sending me a new laptop

When i get my Laptop again from them what should i do first so that i can add my SSD and use that as a OS, and get the Nvidia thing work out
    Can anyone give me like a steps to it so that everyone else can follow it too. Thank you for the reply

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2019
    Jaxigar, SlickDragon and KozE like this.
  6. firedog

Reputations:
    Has anyone torn down the Area-51m and measured the thermal pad thickness yet, and how much square inches of pad needed. Getting the itch to tear this puppy down repaste and put in Fujipoly Ultra Extreme XR-m thermal pads. These things did wonders on my Razer Blade 15 so interested to see if I can get a similar effect in the Area-51m. Don't really want to order several thicknesses as the stuff is not cheap.

7. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell is refusing to sell me the Heatsink and screw before i receive my laptop.

How did you get order the part?
    Trough the sale departement, trough the parts departement? On chat, email,phone?

Kormi likes this.
  8. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I plan on overclocking mine as soon as it arrives. Ordered 9700k/2070. Going to push it as far as I can just to see what kind of performance it's capable of. Just hope the thermals will allow me to get at least 5Ghz on the processor and and a decent OC on the GPU. If temps aren't great, I'll try repasting with Kryonaut.

Interested in pad size as well. Mine will be here next week most likely, but I don't have anything to measure the pad thickness.

That's odd. I haven't recieved mine yet and I just purchased two m.2 heatsinks yesterday. They're out of stock on the M2x3 screws though .
    I went through chat and ordered mine, they didnt even ask for an order number just email.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2019
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  9. firedog

Reputations:
    Sucks that you had to get a replacement machine, looks like there may be a hardware issue on your current one that is causing issues. Lets hope they can get the new one to you quickly.

This is what I did to replace the Toshiba SSD in mine with a Samsung 970 evo plus. It worked for me but I cannot guarantee it. I used an external PCIe enclosure (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G96D4XF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_PrzECbDW7W73J )and put the new Samsung drive into it. Then used MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 11 (https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html) to clone the drive. This will likely reboot directly into the cloning tool so the C drive is not in use and copy everything on the C drive to the new drive.

Once cloned I cracked open the Area-51m, replaced the C drive with the new drive and put it back together. On the first reboot windows went into repair mode and did some stuff finally saying it could not fix it. Then on a subsequent boot it booted up just fine. I've seen this happen on every disk clone I've done so it seems to be the way it goes. In my case the disk I was cloning was the same size as the new disk but if you are going to a bigger SSD then you will need to either resize the partitions prior to the clone or you can move and resize after the clone.

Took me a total of about 30 minutes if I remember from start to finish. After that I downloaded Nvidia Experience (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/) ran it, clicked update drivers and it downloaded the latest driver that I could then express install.

Only other thing I did was to change the BIOS from RAID to AHCI and installed the Samsung Nvme drivers to get max performance and allow Samsung Magician to work so you get firmware updates and can them install them on the SSD.

Hope that helps, and good luck when the new machine arrives

Jaxigar and blazkowicz009 like this.
  10. firedog

Reputations:
    I got mine on eBay, easy and came in a couple of days before my laptop arrived.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=JV98R&_sacat=0

I did not order an SSD screw as the open M.2 bay had the screw in there already, and just needed the heat sink