*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I have to try and track the information down again, but Intel did state to raise the tjmax form 98/100C to 113C for 9900K....

ssj92 and Papusan like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know at least for MB manufacturers. However... Intel's specs sheet say 100C. From what I know Dell still offer 8th gen Cpu as options for Area-51m. Maybe they will differentiate it in specs sheet and or in firmware. I don't know.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Ashtrix, j95, Rei Fukai and 1 other person like this.
  3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Rei Fukai, raz8020, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yes I have seen this one. Have it in my bookmarks. But not so sure that Dell's engineers are so up to date, sir. And from what I have seen, the processors in Area-51m throttle down speed when below 100C. Maybe not so low as their BGA models, but they don't run full speed at 100C. Maybe we will se an updated firmware who will raise throttle temperatures. I don't know.

As you could see it seems Dells engineers follow what Intel put as TJUNCTION Junction Temperature for the BGA Coffee lake models. And they follow it as the Devil and put same temp target as average temp under heavy load. This doesn't look so good. They did it for the BGA models. I expect the same for the new upgradeable models. Reason for this... I'm sure you know.

Ashtrix, j95, Rei Fukai and 3 others like this.
  5. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    All I can speak on that as a fact is the benchmark I ran while at CES and it throttled down to 4.5/4.6. And it throttled on winsat. Did not have time to fully investigate it all, but at some point I will.

This pretty much goes without saying.

Rei Fukai and Papusan like this.
  7. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anything starting with 1060 and above does well in most games from my experience. I have a gimped 3GB version of the 1060 and it performs ok. Obviously won't run every game on max settings but still pretty adequate in my opinion. Will probably replace it with a 2070 at some point, or just wait till Ngreedia starts offering performance instead of gimmick features lol.

jclausius and Jaxigar like this.
  8. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How old is that link? NVIDIA Control Panel is now a UWP compatible Windows Store App that is supposed to automatically DL thru the windows store when you update your drivers dependent upon OEM and driver number..

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4733/~/nvidia-control-panel-windows-store-app
    Link from NVIDIA explaining how it is supposed to work.

https://winaero.com/blog/unblock-nvidia-control-panel-store-app-in-windows-10/
    This link has a DL for it and steps to take to get it to work on any OEM and NVIDIA driver.

ETA: There must be some serious problems with the app. I went to the download for the Control Panel on the MS store and is shows this:

"NVIDIA Control Panel is currently not available."

Really the only system requirement that is shown is that your machine must be on Windows 10 version 17134.0 or higher

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  9. euphoric28

euphoric28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Battlefield V with 8700k stock with -160mv offset and 2070 Ultra settings and dx12 enabled
    [​IMG]

Papusan, DannyB513 and SlickDragon like this.
  10. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It would be interesting to see the max sustained CPU power draw in combined loads, when mounted on an AC unit!

In the latest chinese video ^^^, the CPU starts with a power draw of +180w, which is normal, since at first is limited by PL2 which is much higher than PL1. It reaches the throttling temps (97-100C) and while it maintains the same temps and a relatively constant level of thermal throttling, the power draw gradually decreases. When it opens the hwinfo sensors tab (at 8:14), we can see that the PL1 value was at max 150w, but the the current value is significantly lower (135w) and the minimum was 127w After the power draw stabilizes at ~130w, the thermal throttling decreases. The power limit seems to be adjusted only in combined CPU+GPU loads, which is normal behavior for some (BGA) notebooks (but most of them don't have that gradual transition to the combined load power limit, it usually kicks in fast, regardless of the temperatures).

Rei Fukai likes this.