*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. HookemAZ

HookemAZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its buried somewhere in this thread. Also you can contact AW support. You have premium support and they will get you taken care of fairly quickly.

2. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A link to a side load of it was posted 6 posts before his question.

3. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1. They don’t come with a screw. I ordered those too.
    2. Since I didn’t have the screws, I only placed them in physically. They don’t seem to have any issue with fit and I’d bet are 100% compatible. I’ve got the screws and will install an M.2 SSD soon.
    3. JV98R for M.2 heatsinks (from other AW notebooks), and something like 3W3W3 (for 51m). But, they’re the same. The M.2 screw part number in the pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    You can't exactly get this configuration on Dell's website (closest is two 256 GB SSDs), but it's about a $300 discount (so less than 10%) from the closest thing on Dell.
    On another note, I didn't know the Area 51m was at Microcenter. Once they're in stock at my local one, I'm going to go check it out and compare to my 15 R3.

5. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, completely stock except for the UV.

I guess it's all in the beholders eye... neither me or the wife thinks it's loud. It's blowing wind all right, but we don't think it loud enough to be intrusive. I'd say it's exactly what I was hoping for TBH.

Richard Bortz likes this.
  6. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine came with a screw ready for the Samsung 970 Pro NVMe I placed in. I've thoroughly attempted to murder the pro, sans heatsink, through rigorous benchmarks and don't see any thermal issues. I may get the heatsink just for safety though, as it is quite cheap and easy to apply.

Virale likes this.
  7. Richard Bortz

Richard Bortz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Perfect!

Amroth likes this.
  8. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Fantastic, thank you so much!

Your laptop already had the screws or your 970 Pro came with the required screw? If the laptop already comes with one then I’ll most likely skip the heatsink/screw order from Dell.

9. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, it's actually quite nice. I was a bit nervous to "downgrade" from 1440p on my Clevo to 1080p on this AW, but it's a real nice FHD, so I don't miss anything there.

I have some very slight coil whine from time to time, but the fans drown it out, even when they are on low, so it's not really an issue. On a ultrabook - big no-no, but on a gaming rig, not really a problem. ;-)

Amroth and Richard Bortz like this.
  10. Jaxigar

Jaxigar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was skeptical from the get go tbh.. I don’t know much, but I know a powerful cpu in a small limited space will produce a lot of heat lol.. As of right now, I don’t plan on pushing the rig to it’s limits. However it’s definitely going to be something I do once I’m more comfortable with how overclocking works. I too was expecting a 8 pipe heat sink, but I ca live with 7... I just hope the rig can too lol. I’m going to wait until it arrives and go from there. It was going to be this or a high end SFF... Portability is paramount as I work out of a semi.