*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    New shipment of laptops due into HID on 12 March. Mine will be built when these arrive.....time is moving so damn slow.

SlickDragon, jclausius and Terreos like this.
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
  3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It probably saved about 50 cents in production cost per heat sink by eliminating the extra heat pipe. Who wouldn't be willing to spend 10 to 20 times that amount for the better heat sink and cooler temperatures if they were going to purchase one of these machines? This is what we call being pennywise and pound foolish. When you compare the two, it's kind of a no-brainer. Going chintzy to save a few bucks (or less) on a flagship product make no sense whatsoever.

Rei Fukai, Ashtrix, raz8020 and 6 others like this.
  5. Kuronos

Kuronos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to see the book bag as I'm going to order it with my reward points!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. HookemAZ

HookemAZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-GC16034-Elevator-Stand-Laptops/dp/B013BNHROE

This is what I am using and it works great in my opinion.

7. firedog

firedog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree that the 51m Elite backpack is huge. I have not used it yet as I'm trying to decide if I want to return it or not, the zippers pulls on the bag also look like they will tear off really easily, so quality is meh for me. Unfortunately, so far I've found nothing else that this beast will fit into. I thought about the Everki Titan but even that looks too small to fit the laptop in the laptop sleeve. The problem is the depth of the machine at 16 inches is going to be very difficult to fit. I'm thinking I may order the messenger bag and see if that's a better fit for the machine. Anyone with the messenger bag want to comment on size and comfort of the bag? I'm generally not transporting the power supplies as I purchased an extra pair to leave at work so I'm just transporting the area 51m plus a 15" macbook pro for use in meetings most days.

8. blazkowicz009

blazkowicz009 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi I am having the same issue can you please put down some steps so that i can follow through! I am trying to download the Nvidia Control Panel app but it does not show up anywhere as well as on Microsoft store it comes up as No longer available for Canada

I appreciate your help

9. firedog

firedog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've not removed any of the software that was installed, for the most part the machine is pretty bloatware free (a change for Dell), did not mess with the killer (might remove this and see if I can use plain old Intel drivers) or Alienware software yet. When installing the new SSD I just did a straight clone of the drive.

To be honest I've had no real issues with the machine, the only problem I'm having is I use a thunderbolt 3 dock to connect the laptop to a couple of monitors, ethernet, and USB devices at work (makes for a quick connect/disconnect) and the monitors connect to the Intel on-board graphics as expected, then I use the laptop screen to have a total of three monitors. Every time the machine goes to sleep it forgets the monitor layout and I have to reset them, bit annoying and may force me to disable sleep whilst connected to power.

My thermals all seem to be within acceptable parameters (9900K and 2080), but I'll likely at some point repaste and apply better thermal pads to see if I can get a bit better (this made a huge difference on my previous Razer Blade 15). Pretty happy to be able to play games without compromise without disappearing to the desktop in my office and away from the family.

10. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I found the instructions here with the direct download link somewhere on the page:
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-control-app-in-windows-store.423340/