*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. FrankieFrank

FrankieFrank Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wow awesome, i’ve had 3 swaps for my aw17r5 before i got a perfect one. Loads of temp problems, the one i have now is decent. But stil hits 95 on the CPU while playing bf5. GPU has never been a problem and stays at 60 / 65 max. The i9 is just a difficult CPU to cool.

Yeah it is, this is the full desk.

CB1B2B0D-DBFD-419E-A7E1-624CAD6C4059.jpeg

Vasudev, Rei Fukai and QUICKSORT like this.
  2. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll give that a shot this weekend. Good idea. I've done that in the past and didn't even think of it for some reason!

I think thermal problems will quickly become a reality at that point though, because if I limit the turbos half way between stock and stable, I don't get power limit throttling but I do get intense heat. It just seems insane to me the amount of difference in stress on the system for a 1000 point difference in firestrike.

After limiting turbos to a nice, stable, place I don't even go over 80C EVER. But if I try to get that extra .3-5 ghz, it blows up to 100C and has various kinds of throttling. That amounts to an ever so slightly higher score in firestrike and a few intangible FPS. Just doesn't make sense to me. As such, this thing runs completely beastly if you're willing to accept that its going to be 5% downclocked at max speed (or less) and not a desktop on the go. Which is contrary to the marketing, it just isn't what it was described to be. Instead, it's just something else. This will cause a lot of backlash towards people who wanted it to be their upgradable on the go desktop alternative.

As it stands, speaking for my unit at least, its a very stable, very powerful, beautiful looking laptop. You can get better performance out of a desktop that is half the price, but this has a little extra on top.

That said, all these benchmarks of m17, Area-51m, etc showing 100C are a bit disingenuous or I've been using the wrong laptop manufactures. I've had to essentially do the exact same ThrottleStop tweaks to every laptop I've owned or tweaked for friends in the last 3 years. From the i7-7700k onward. HP, MSI, Lenovo, Alienware. Did these 100C m17s do any undervolting, or limit their turbos even .1 or .2 ghz? These are shipped with stock settings and huge variations on chips. If manufacturers didn't list the HiGhEsTT GHZZ and instead came stock at stable clocks, we would then have some headroom to OC and do enthusiast stuff while the everyday joe wouldn't rush to youtube to claim thermal problems (that virtually everything seems to be suffering!)

Am I crazy? I feel like I'm coming from a reasonable position here, but I certainly see a lot of panic about thermals... While I'm sitting here with the fans barely humming and over 100 fps in Anthem on all maxed settings.

Jaxigar, Fire Tiger, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  3. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The problems that @nader_rizk2003 stated I also have.
    - The left usb is a little difficult to use, but I have a usb hub there, so that won't be used that often.
    - Have the same small clicking on the touchpad, although in my case it's less worse, didn't even notice in normal use until so far. Only noticed it now.
    - On my right top of the monitor I see that monitor inner bezels do vary, only on the left side at the bottom it's like 0.6mm, but near the top it's like 0.2mm. again not as big as mentioned there.
    - There is this line in the middle of the speaker. A single plasitc horizontal line. When I press on it with my finger, it flexes easily, but nothing should be touching there so that's also fine.
    So far these are all nitpicky stuff, that I don't care about. But I can perfectly see that after paying 3-4 grand, you want everything to be perfect. But unfortunately I have used many laptops and pc's and there is always something, and these are for me negligible.

Now the issues that you mentioned @FrankieFrank.
    - I didn't have light bleeding. When moving my display by holding the top, the uniformity of the backlight changes. And sometimes the bleed becomes and stays visible. A little pushes and it gets away in my case. Weird, but again minor issue, and even when the bleed is visible, in my case it's a very small patch.
    - OOF, Dead pixels, I hope I will not face that. That's not okay for. that's an instant return for me.
    - No humming for me, however my laptop has coil whine. When not gaming, the fans are very quite, even more quite than the coil whine. But, when I'm typing or have my headphones on (even if nothing plays) I cannot hear it anymore.

So far for me, nothing that is a deal breaker. Everything is to my liking.

4. FrankieFrank

Reputations:
    Agreed touchpad wasn’t a problem for me. Scratches we’re a bummer, dead pixels was the biggest problem though.
    Aaah well got a nice discount on my second order so aint complaining. Its mass production quality issues are well known with mass production.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  5. FrankieFrank

Reputations:
    Agreed, shouldn’t be to nitpicky. The scratches out of the box and dead pixels we’re a dealbreaker for me.
    Anno 2019 there shouldn’t be screens with dead pixels in them imo. For some strange reason with Alienware i’ve had the most pixels defects ever. Sometimes out of the box, sometimes after a few days or weeks.

I have a business and use 8 MacBooks, all of them not a single pixel defect out of the box. Trust me i’ve checked them all i’m real nitpicky when it comes to screens!

6. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell offered me a 10% refund if I wish to keep the unit. That's actually not half bad.

Again, does it matter which PSU goes where in the back?

steberg and Kormi like this.
  7. BrokenNinja

BrokenNinja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    See the common factor here is the rear & side fins for multiple directions of cooling air in the proven designs. Why Alienware has done is something I would expect from a HP or a Compaq laptop if they even make those any more. Cutting corners and cutting costs on such a so called high end pc... Unacceptable.. It cannot run the 9900k cpu correctly with out reaching its own limits. That my friends is 100% false advertising at its finest. Plenty of room to ad 2-3 more copper.pipes or replace the cooling fins with silver coating or better yet reduce the size of the fan 6-8mm ad another coolong coil on the left and right of the fans to look similar to the Asus or MSI.
    If you buy a 458 Itali and it claims to do something. Do you even have to question it!? Of course not.
    If you buy a Alienware laptop from Dell should you assume they lied or cheated you in some way. You bet.

The Alienware we once knew prior to Dell rubbing in it would never be met with these poor QC n tests failures.

Explain your before price and specifications and your current new price after this huge discount to keep you having this laptop I'm quite interested in how much they are willing to save face. Thanks so much.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2019
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Doesnt matter which of the 2 ports you use. There isn't any hierarchy between the ports.

9. FrankieFrank

Reputations:
    Wow such anger and frustration. I’ve got a 10% discount and thats enough for me.
    Do you even own the laptop or did you just decide to buy a bag of salt and drop it here?

VoodooChild likes this.
  10. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. Then that's not an issue at least. Not really sure what I should do. Ironically the machine never freezes while gaming (rock solid and quiet), only in idle to regular desktop stuff. Hmm.