*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Even though I really like the 144hz, it's really smooth.
    I cannot leave my 4K 27 inch monitor, the extra space thanks to the resolution, and the better immersion thanks to its size is something I got used to so much that going to the small monitor makes it a little difficult for me.
    So Now I have my laptop next to my 27 inch monitor, side by side, basically running a 2 monitor setup.

Can anyone recomment me a laptop stand I can put this monster on?
    Something that lifts the laptop significantly, not just a cooling pad or anything, more like this kind of thing:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-Easy-Riser-Portable-Ergonomic/dp/B0007YB8NM

But of course it has to leave the vents open for breathing + keep in mind that the front of the laptop. (where the speakers are), has an angle, so where the laptop will rest at the bottom should be large enough to support it.
    Anyone knows anything like that?

To be honest that kensington one looks really nice, you can also adjust the angle, but I think it's a little too undersized. Not sure though.

2. FrankieFrank

FrankieFrank Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. lsramair

lsramair Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm using the EXACT same one. Have had it for 10+ years. Excellent stand.

raz8020, jclausius and FrankieFrank like this.
  4. QUICKSORT

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but do you think it will work with my setup (see pictures)

Currently I have 2 issues I want to overcome, and one preferable option:
    issues:
    - As you can see in the image, the pc blows directly into the adapters which I don't like.
    - I cannot put the laptop closer, because the laptop its body reaches my separate keyboard, especially when gaming on the keyboard, I put it more to the left fore more comfort for my arm.

Preferable option:
    - I want the both screens their tops to align side by side, but this is optional, as the 27 inch monitor is the primary monitor and the laptop monitor is barely used.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe a stupid question, but does it matter which power brick is connected to which port?

6. FrankieFrank

Reputations:
    I’ve had these problems with my returned unit aswell except the speaker grill. Although the touchpad and USB port on the left side weren’t troublesome, the screen wasn’t balanced in my unit aswell. My screen was more to the right like 1mm.

Other problems.

- scratches on the glossy bezel out of the box. (One of the clips of the bezel was not attached out of the box. I could however click it in so no problem. Poor quality control though)
    - dead pixels alter 3 days, a whole line of 4 pixels on the left side.
    - humming fan on low rpm, you felt it in the chassis of the laptop very noticable.
    - lightbleed left corner and right corner, right corner the most. Could have lived with only that.

Hopefully the next unit is in pristine condition. You should think for these kind of dollars / euro’s everything is top notch.

I saw another question about temps. While Gaming my machine was very cool like 60 / 70 degrees for GPU and 80 / low 90’s for the CPU. I had a 9700k and RTX 2080. While benching the highest i’ve seen the CPU go was 94 / 95. Really good compared to the AW17r5 out of the box.

7. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My 17 R5 could OC 100 MHz on the cpu out of the box without reaching 85C+. So i would say the R5 is better than the 51m IF the paste application is good. Star citizen was at that time the only game (not even firestrike could bring my gpu down to its knees)
    That could let my cpu hit 90C, but not even cross it. Mind you a fully unlocked 1080 can pull 210/215 watts.

8. FrankieFrank

Reputations:
    Answered your questions above.

this is how it lookes like.

259C9BAD-3741-4E2D-8D77-B5328F64F8BF.jpeg

9. QUICKSORT

Reputations:
    Thank you very much.
    Also is that the ikea desk?
    I was planning to buy that one.

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The touchpad thing isnt realy a defect imo, just a light space between the right side of the touchpad and the backframe, probably because there are no components directly under the left side. But it sucks if you have scratches out of the box.