*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Err0xx

Err0xx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure who this is in response to, but you'll see I have posted a LOT in the past 30 or so pages.

VoodooChild likes this.
  2. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here is the part of the video where he is discussing it for reference. I misspoke earlier. What he is saying is that by setting it to Better Performance in the battery tab Windows is going to run all your CPU cores at their max frequency whether they are under load or not which will mask your actual performance.

For whatever reason the video will not attach here at the timestamp I told it to start at. Go to about 7:15 in the video. This is where he talks about it.

Jaxigar and Err0xx like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/18507677/fs/18507602/fs/18507525/fs/18508422/fs/18508342
    upload_2019-2-27_5-22-6.png
    All runs is from today.
    upload_2019-2-27_5-26-41.png
    All my computers is put to High performance. They run as expected.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    raz8020, VoodooChild, Darkhan and 4 others like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Some people are actually very interested in that and think that is does matter, and posting proof is always good. It gives the person posting and the product they are proud of a whole lot more credibility. Even if you're not interested in cold-boot performance, if you post the information about it, including the evidence to support it, this appreciated by just about everyone that reads the post whether they are planning to overclock and run benchmarks or not.

I have always benched my laptops on a portable AC unit and this one would be no exception. The rest of the time I run them at a clock speed the cooling system is capable of managing without the portable AC unit. It would be pretty disappointing to run into a firmware-induced performance limitation at a point where thermal management capabilities become irrelevant.

Rage Set, Johnksss, raz8020 and 5 others like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hmm. Interesting.

Speaking of firmware-induced performance limitations, has anyone been able to get Windows 7 running properly on the Area 51m yet? Any CSM support in the BIOS?

Anyone buying a new laptop with an RTX GPU because they are excited about ray tracing and DLSS could likely benefit from a reality check. I love my modded RTX 2080 Ti, but not for those reasons. I love it because it gives me higher benchmark scores than what I could achieve with my modded 1080 Ti.

Here is a reality check on the RTX/DLSS gimmick. (Be sure to watch it full screen in 4K for the full effect.)

Rage Set, Ashtrix, raz8020 and 4 others like this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Legacy mode is supported if I remember correctly. Issue will be drivers.

I'll try and get 7 working on the Area-51M and post a guide if I do...I have some spare WD Blacks I can use. Probably won't see much from me until after Monday once my exams are done.

But expect a barrage of content after that LOL

7. Err0xx

Err0xx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's on my baseline, still stock 51m that has steam on it and steam 3dmark. You'll see screenshots and posts from it on this thread around page 278 or so. My repasted version does not have official software on it. Why? I'm running benchmarks side by side and the steam version can only run on one machine at a time. I dont have 2 steam accounts.

VoodooChild and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You should be able to get modded drivers from Fernando and friends over at win-raid forum. Maybe not for the crappy Intel iGPU, but that's not important unless the system has some kind of dependency on it being functional.

9. euphoric28

euphoric28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nyceis, VoodooChild, alberty and 3 others like this.
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I'll have to take a look over there.

As far as I know, nVidia GPU is connected directly to internal display so nVidia drivers probably just need a modified inf?

Mr. Fox likes this.