*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Throttlestop is purpose built to remove nanny like impediments imposed by companies looking to reduce warranty claims or perceived warranty claims. You have much more control and it's a light tool without fluff or needless effects. I personally have never damaged a board or card overclocking or undervolting because i have a conservative policy on it. Increase slowly and back off with instability. It's the only way to overclock. I guess they can not trust every buyer to be sensible and as a result of catering to lowest common denominator, the whole customer base suffers.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Rei Fukai, raz8020, c69k and 3 others like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Don't run XTU and TS side by side and it'll cause race condition and contend for same registers and stuffs like that. Use either XTU or TS but not both. Its mutual exclusive.

raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  3. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you know that invalidates your warranty? Are you aware that recently it became illegal for companies to remove warranties based on customers attempting to service their own parts? Those warranty void if removed or tampered with stickers are not enforceable. Also I'm pretty sure you could throw this laptop in a bucket of water and as long you have your accidental warranty they will replace it. Seems you could just merc your laptop in a bucket to cover up your XTU or TS indiscretions and get it replaced. Although i'd doubt you needed to.

4. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I completely agree with you 100%. The false advertising deserves absolutely no benefit of the doubt or excuses.

The system itself is a beautiful machine that can provide more than adequate gaming and work experience.

I was emphasizing the unrealistic expectations of those who expect it to run 1:1 to a Desktop, when even their own laptop dtr's can't match a desktop 1:1. :)

I may have one soon to work my magic and to display what it can truly do and can not do. :p But I'm pretty optimistic that I can provide some surprises that'll be above the average of the speculation limit that many of the trolls that don't even own the system have put on it.

Virale and Siepacz like this.
  5. yggdra.omega

yggdra.omega Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Could someone please go to device manager and post the driver info for your Thunderbolt port? I'm getting bluescreens and wasting a lot of time trying to get it to work correctly....

6. HookemAZ

HookemAZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not yet. I will try that in a few minutes. I am really new to this stuff, so I was going for what most folks consider the "simplest solution" however, it just errors out.

I uninstalled Alienware OC tools and tried xtu again, but it still fails. I will try TS next, but I really am discouraged currently by everything failing when I try to UV.
    fail 2.PNG

7. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Yes 10000000%. The stock apps that ODM's provide are absolute rubbish. XTU messes things up really bad. Not recommended.

Yes, XTU is NOT preferred. Uninstall everything AWCC and only use TS to tune.... AWCC is laced with the virus XTU that will just mess things up. It is better to use an older AWCC that does not have the OC built into it.

Excellent! That's great news that the chassis can handle that... have you run some benches yet? Could you run Firestrike on combined test loop and post some screen shots? That'd be greatly appreciated.

Rule #1. Never use XTU with TS. Combined it messes things up.

Rule #2, just stick with TS .... ditch XTU and uninstall everything that is infected with XTU....

Use a good complete uninstaller to rid any XTU traces from your machine....

Use TS only with hwinf64 ... that is my recommendation.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    raz8020, Virale and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Even that won't do the trick anymore since XTU from 3rd party digs really deep and no way they'll be uninstalled because they mark it as System components and OS won't let you remove them. I was trying out CAM tools and XTU didn't get removed. Had to use Linux to delete the folder, WinPE to cleanup the reg entries, de-bloat existing bloated reg db using Reg compressor. Still its leftover.

raz8020, c69k and iunlock like this.
  9. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    That is true... a sad truth... I'd advise for anyone wanting the best to do a fresh install and then to create restores along the way ....

Also, make sure to not carelessly update your bios just because you think it's better..

NEVER DOES NOT = BETTER ...

It has sadly become a one way street where IF you update to the latest virus (bios) you can NOT roll back so be careful folks...

raz8020 likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Rollback is disabled by default.