*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jorotaruGuy

jorotaruGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Tbh this whole heatsink issue is silly. Dell should have just put the best one in every single model. The laptop was sold on how easy it was to upgrade components by yourself but if you ordered the base model, your choice in components will always be limited to the lower end, unless you also order a better heatsink to go with it. Unless of course, they're really trying to push the idea of getting your upgrades through Dell, where they'll also switch your heatsink as you move up. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason.

Besides, from a manufacturing cost perspective, even though the heatsink itself might cost a little more (probably still next to nothing though), wouldn't it have been overall cheaper to produce a part rather than several different variations? Considering all the logistics that would have to go into keeping each variation available.

c69k, raz8020, Darkhan and 1 other person like this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    You might wanna save and screenshot that. i have a feeling we’re gonna need it if we’re gonna get a heatsink swap :rolleyes:

3. iron_megalith

iron_megalith Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Welcome to outsourcing and no training.

turbo87 and Darkhan like this.
  4. yggdra.omega

yggdra.omega Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Currently on with Dell Support at the moment , trying to figure out if it's possible to enable Windows Hello. Dude RDPs in and is trying to get gpedit working in windows 10 home for some reason.

euphoric28 likes this.
  5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Calling it an "8 pipe" heatsink is being ironic, right? Since there's only 7 and the difference with the "7 pipe" is that one heatpipe is longer and extends over to the CPU side's radiator so it has that shared heatpipe as well as its 3 dedicated ones

raz8020, Papusan and ssj92 like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    What is better than Azor's own words about the 8 fat heatpipes. But it seems he have only seen the underside of the 8 7 pipes heatsink. Look at 4.44 min. Maybe he and his engineeers forgot to count the pipes on the top of HS when he they had the chance?:eek: Smart move hang it on the wall with the underside out for the press!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Ashtrix, bennyg, raz8020 and 4 others like this.
  7. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I’ve been at work all day, and I see a lot of smoke... but nobody, yet, has actually received a unit and given photo evidence of receiving the CES pipes, correct?

8. illest1

illest1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Everyone. I just received a reply back from Mr. Azor about the heat sink issue.
    This is what he said:
    1. [​IMG]
      We haven't confirmed or denied what heatsinks are supposed to be shipping per GPU config

19m11 minutes ago

2. [​IMG]
      We are investigating but you don't necessarily have the wrong heatsink. Enjoy your system and if you have thermal issues lmk. We will confirm heatsink configurations soon

c69k, raz8020 and ssj92 like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You should reply back and post the YouTube video I put into post #2657

Everything directly out from his own mouth. And not from an second or third person.

raz8020 and Darkhan like this.
  10. illest1

illest1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Papusan. I did as you suggested and sent a reply back to Mr Azor with the video from your post :)

c69k, raz8020, Darkhan and 1 other person like this.