*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's because they are idiots who cant count. They count shared heat pipe twice lol. There are 4 heat pipes on each die... logically 8 heat pipes total :rolleyes:

Papusan and Terreos like this.
  2. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anybody in Canada have a shipping date yet?

3. yggdra.omega

yggdra.omega Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Woo, woke up to a shipping email, arriving on Friday

Terreos and custom90gt like this.
  4. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, different behavior compared to the previous tests from the first chinese video review (see the first test from: 7:50 and the one from 51:40):
    In the new test we can see that the PL1 max is indeed 150w, but it seems that it is dynamically adjusted (probably based on max temperatures, like it was with the 17R5).

5. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    17 R5 powerlimits are locked to 110w short and long.

6. raz8020

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  7. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've tested all firmware's (except last one released cause it was too small) it's just Intel DPTF downclocking the CPU due to temperature, not power limits. When you disable remove Intel DPTF and set speedshift priority between 87 and 100 it won't downclock. No matter how hot your CPU gets it will hold it clock speed until Tjunction is met and the CPU is forcefully turned off.

Running 1.2.1 cause imo most stable, and yields me a 1400+ CB on 4.3 all core.

c69k likes this.
  8. raz8020

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...5-owners-lounge.815492/page-148#post-10763431

9. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell have confirmed the secret power throttles are at the BIOS, 1.1.6 and 1.2.1 they said, and you cannot avoid it. This secret power throttle kicks in a few seconds after the CPU has thermally throttled, eg > 99C. After 2-3 seconds it will limit the power to bring the temps down to <= 93C. You will see the thermal throttle gone and the power throttle commencing. The system is not perfect, in the sense you can fool it by stretching only 1-2 cores at a time, and in that situation the power throttle is unable to stop random cores being hit suddenly and then you will see thermal throttles too.
    The reason, I suspect, that captn.ko has not noticed it is because his CPU does not throttle thermally, which is the trigger for this system ? <- compare that to this -> http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/whats-the-use-of-an-extreme-cpu-with-dptf.772856/

The problem doofus had was because one of the intel DPTF thermal sensor gets hit of ten, Hence limit HIS performance. BTW he is the only one with constant problems. Not to bash or anything but the moment i tuned mine and got my temps in check i've never experienced a problem anumore (except that i cannot change my powerlimits) maybe his unit is detective, cause heus still the only one with 4+ different problems on the same machine.

I also got an tuning guide regarding an xps of iunlock that kept throttling due to the DPTF sensor.

10. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So... is there enough now information to summarize where the various CPUs / GPUs top out and is it thermal or design limitations? I'm curious to see how that stacks up against some of the more, extreme, let's say, predictions on corporate input to design decisions.

Homer