*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. anonymous4272

anonymous4272 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    update: so i tried again for the 50th time and i realised the issue is NOT nvidia drivers, rather a package. every other time i was installing, the first thing i did was sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade. but sudo apt upgrade is what breaks it. i have ~300 packages left to upgrade, so ill do some trial and error and see what breaks. most likely some sort of lib or maybe grub or systemd.

2. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Newer BIOS's introduced fixes for Intel screw ups in the form of security updates, and several of them actually reduced CPU performance. I think 1.12 was a particularly bad one as I rolled back from that one after I saw how much it influenced my CPU scores on 3DMark, it was a pretty big hit. The older BIOS's are definitely where it's at if you want the best performance.

DreDre, ssj92 and Papusan like this.
  3. anonymous4272

Reputations:
    another update, managed to find out the offender. its either grub or shim. since they all depend on each other, i cant really say for sure which one it is. im going to do a bit more trial and error, and maybe open an issue.

4. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    / sudo apt update / only updates the list of available packages, / sudo apt upgrade / installs the updates, if you scroll back through the onscreen log immediately after attempting to / sudo apt upgrade / you should be able to determine where it is failing, often it's a missing dependency issue.

5. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any black Friday deals to improve R1?

6. anonymous4272

Reputations:
    sorry i didnt explain it properly, it installs fine without any issues. but on the next boot for some weird reason im unable to boot into ubuntu (even recovery mode). windows and uefi works fine. ive held the packages for now, gonna do a bit more digging to see what the issue is. the hard thign is thjat i cant collect any logs, since it isnt even attempting to boot in the first place.

7. anonymous4272

Reputations:
    i never came across anything to be honest, though i did order some thermalright thermal pads from aliexpress. came to 20 quid including vat

8. Daniel_alienware

Daniel_alienware Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good evening! My Alienware has a 2080 RTX and Windows 10 in its configuration and since its purchase almost 2 years ago I have had some problems. In one of them, several games show sudden FPS drops during Gameplay for a few seconds, dropping from over 100 fps to approx 15-20 fps for about 30 seconds. I've updated drivers, reinstalled Windows, thought the problem might be G-Sync, 144hz, vsync, GAME mode, but nothing fixed. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

9. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, you are dealing with the ever so common thermal throttling. First thing we need to do is check what vBios you are on...I would highly recommend 1.5.0 on the R1 (it's what I've been running for over 2 years). You can set your GPU throttle point to 87C instead of the 77C you are dealing with now. If you just do a quick search on this forum it will describe all of this in detail and what you need to do.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    DreDre, Papusan and Vanya like this.
  10. Daniel_alienware

Daniel_alienware Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am using VBIOS v1.0.0.5 - nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 and Alienware BIOS 1.15.1.