*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Effing Finally! I was just living with it. Hahaha so happy…

IXVIXXII likes this.
  2. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't had any issues with all the drivers loaded from Windows Update for Windows 11 - only thing I went out of my way to get was the newest Nvidia drivers. I never load AWCC, no reason for it, not very well developed software and hooks a little deeper into BIOS then I like, doesn't uninstall well either. I ended having to fully resinstall Windows in the past to get all the hooks AWCC leaves behind.

3. rockroland

rockroland Newbie

Reputations:
    I am sharing the boardview file and schematics that I purchased in case anyone needs them. This includes pdf schematics for the motherboard and daughter boards and CAD and boardview (brd) file for all of the boards. Boardviewer software can be downloaded for free from Allegro at https://www.cadence.com/ko_KR/home/tools/allegro-downloads-start.html . I used Allegro/OrCAD/SIP/MCM FREE Physical Viewers 17.4 - 615MB as my viewer.
    There is also an .xlsx parts list included that details each of the over 2,000 parts contained in the laptop. I hope this might help someone else like it did for my repair project. Good luck and best regards.. -R

Link to .7z file with pdfs,xlsx,brd and cad files: https://mega.nz/file/0xhxwIoC#hRY_nSg9xEWz_m88aQ6gsDthZQUf7YCjGFGwuhkHSSM

sarcasmic, Crimwoo, Lopt and 7 others like this.
  4. Virale

Reputations:
    Holy moly! What a gift to the community! Thanks

Papusan likes this.
  5. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey it's this more Dell spin bullsh*t or can this be in corporate in a software upgrade to our R1?
    Anyone tried this stuff in repaste?
    Alienware Declassified | X-Series Thermals:

6. Virale

Reputations:
    lol, unless you can get your hands on the “Element 31” TIM, no.

If you had it you could repaste with it, I suppose.

Everything this guy spoke of is hardware based with the exception of the BIOS “slider” he speaks of to control how much cooling you give to CPU vs GPU…

Normimb and Papusan like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Dell have added several more sensors on the board that speak with EC, drivers and the software How Dell cripple performance explained by.....

As @Virale said. Its HW based (sensors). Less is better.
    Why bother? People get better results with the old fashion liquid metal. And the capsule with the hybrid paste is too small to cover an LGA chips.

Normimb and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  8. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That video is a lesson in hot air and marketing double talk, that guy is dying inside "Thermal Technologist" geez, translation... "Ok you caught us using gobs and gobs of cheap a$$ paste" "Here is another cheap paste with a fancier name, now give us your money and go away"

I really hope there is a special place in hades for the marketing people who write this Drek.

Normimb, Papusan, DreDre and 2 others like this.
  9. Virale

Reputations:
    Hahaha frankly, I kind of agree… there are reviews out there that speak to how much cooler these new laptops are vs the previous gen… but the truth here is there’s a few things in play… namely: older gen cards usually run hotter and they were in a chassis with the same thickness… also, they were lazy and cheap on TIMs before, and now they decided to put a few extra cents into it… and finally there isn’t a single 3080 out there running at 200W to my knowledge… they cap out at ~165W on the most powerful ones (e.g. thick laptops).

So I’d attribute the majority of these “improvements” to generational efficiency gains, lower max wattage, and generally filling the laptop with more vents/holes vs previous generations than because of the cited “better TIM, better sensors, better software” arguments presented by Dell.

Normimb, Papusan, Lopt and 2 others like this.
  10. rockroland

rockroland Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any experience in transplanting a healthy RAID 0 array (configured by DELL at build time) in an Area 51M R1 into another identically built Area 51M R1? Does anyone know if the Intel Rapid Storage Technology ROM in the motherboard chipset (formerly called Intel MATRIX RAID) can be accessed with a key combination like ctrl-I or ctrl-L at POST? And, if so, would the foreign RAID array be auto-detected as a Foreign Array that could be imported into the controller ROM on the new machine?