*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Leander_RS

Leander_RS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. So I have been wondering about my temperatures. I have an i9 9900K and an RTX 2080. I notice that I have to run my fans at full speed in order to stop the laptop from throttling down on the GPU on games even on BIOS 1.5.0. The performance setting is not even cutting it most of the time. I also have a -0,090V Core Voltage Offset which helps a little. I remember a time where I did not need to always run on Full Speed during my gaming sessions. And yes I keep the insides clean. The CPU idles around 55-65 C and while gaming around 85-95 C. GPU on 86 C almost all the time on gaming and 48 C idle.
    Is this normal?

Spartan@HIDevolution and Virale like this.
  2. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I run most games on full speed fans to keep temps lower, but those temps do sound higher than I’ve ever seen.

My PC runs hottest with BFV, everything ultra, Raytracing Off. CPU reaches ~97° Celsius, even on full speed fans… GPU has never reached 86° Celsius, on BFV or any other game…

I run mine with -.110 V undervolt on CPU at stock clocks. Hyper threading on (9900K).

GPU is undervolted to 925 mV and overclocked to 1980 MHz, +500 MHz on memory (2080). 200 W VBIOS.

Mind you, I’ve put Fujipoly ultra extreme thermal pads all over, and Phobya Nanogrease Extreme on both CPU and GPU

Your temps definitely sound weird!

3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Check to see if your thermal paste has pumped out. You may need a repaste job.

4. Leander_RS

Reputations:
    Yeah my thermal paste may be shot. The problem is that one of the screws of the cpu heat pipe area broke while trying to loosen it. More specifically I think the standoff between the motherboard and the laptop chassis broke. So repasting is not an option as the whole thing now does not want to come off. I am somewhat screwed I guess unless I have to take everything out including the motherboard. Do you guys know more? Getting Dell to repair is not an option because the machine is out of warranty and I need the laptop for school stuff. But running heavy tasks on it is getting more difficult as it sometimes shuts down instantly due to overheating.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Spartan@HIDevolution and Virale like this.
  5. Virale

Reputations:
    You need a very steady hand and precision tools, you can get the broken screw out… not all is lost.

Look for a mini screw extractor set on Google/Amazon. If the screw head literally broke off, you still can get it out. A mini screw extractor only needs you to pre-drill a very small amount into the existing screw (you need a very small drill bit). Then, using a mini screw extractor bit, you can certainly remove it. Replace it with another compatible screw (you can get one ordered from Dell Support).

I’m guessing the broken screw is to blame. If it’s not doing it’s job; e.g. applying mount pressure so the CPU and GPU make proper contact, the temps will go out of control.

I think you should tear that sucka down and take some pictures of what you see… the community can help man!

If a standoff is broken, you can purchase a whole bottom chassis replacement.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2021
    c69k, MogRules, Fire Tiger and 4 others like this.
  6. Leander_RS

Reputations:
    Ok so the bottom cover has 6 screws which I want to replace as at least 1 is stripped. Which type are they exactly as the Dell website is vague imo.

Virale and Fire Tiger like this.
  7. Virale

Reputations:
    Message dell support or Alienware support on Twitter, they will get back to you quickly and are usually really good at figuring out part numbers on your behalf, if you provide them pictures…

This is how I’ve had the most luck getting a random screw or small part here and there!

If the bottom cover has 1 stripped screw, that doesn’t sound like it will resolve your real issue (the temps). Inquire about that too… send pics to the community on here to help you.

Is the stripped bottom cover screw preventing you from opening your laptop or something? Even more reason to get a screw extractor set

Papusan likes this.
  8. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't know if anyone cares, but Dell put some Win 11 drivers on the 51m R1 page.
    Fixed the AWCC for me.

Cheers

Normimb, Lopt, MogRules and 4 others like this.
  9. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was also having this exact issue for the last few 2080 Nvidia drivers when I was on 1.5.0. I had to bump all my games up to run on full speed fans when I used to use Balanced most of the time. I don't remember it doing it right when I went to 1.5.0 but maybe it did. After installing the new 1.15.1 bios everything went back to normal and I haven't had a throttle that I have noticed in game since.

Lopt likes this.
  10. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm on 1.5, I bumped my VBIOS down to 180w (was on 200) and I used a Windows PS command to limit my CPU to 4500mhz. Now my GPU never goes higher than 81, and my CPU never goes higher than 75. Fans on Balance and almost quite as a mouse. My GPU hangs out around 1800-1900 mhz. Never repasted.

MogRules likes this.