*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Right click on the taskbar, mouse over to News And Interests, then click Turn Off.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I am sure most people knew about this on here, but I was surprised I did not. I have the newer panel on my R1, but the difference in video color was improved no question:

I can't honestly say I see a difference with regular desktop and games, but pictures and video is greatly improved.

Normimb, Papusan and uugui shi like this.
  3. Saryon1

Saryon1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone using a graphics amp? I have a 3080 ti in mine and I typically have to restart my laptop once to get the external monitors to work. On cold boot it uses the laptop monitor.

Thoughts?

4. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone get a fix for the missing graphics in Alienware Control Center? It update months ago and the graphics for the actual laptop (e.g. the illustrations) disappeared. So far AWCC hasn’t updated and fixed it for me. Anyone have a fix? It’s ugly AF to look at.

5. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The last working version here for me is Alienware-Command-Center-Application_X9C8Y_WIN_5.2.100.0_A00, with Alienware-OC-Controls-Application_1DWH6_WIN64_1.3.11.1300_A00

I just rolled back to this a week or so ago, works fine.

Follow the instructions to remove ACC first and delete remains at various %appdata% locations, reboot then remove OC Controls, reboot.
    Install ACC first, then OC Controls, then immediately go into regedit and set the current version of ACC to the most recent one 5.3.2.0 I believe,
    then if M$ store still installed on your machine, open store and go settings / turn off auto download M$ store apps.

Also download and replace the Profiles.zip uploaded here by Spartan and replace the one in your Alienware / ACC/ OCControlservice folder to get back the ability to adjust thermal.

You may still get some weirdness for the first several boots such as spinning and not loading fully then it will want to update such and such, let it (it does not seem to change the version installed just updates some various modules)

Been working fine here for several weeks, with an occasional glitch but I am running multiple users and I have ACC installed on both users and working, yes it was a pain to figure that out, Dell says it can't be done, suck it Dell.

DreDre and Virale like this.
  6. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you kind sir!!!!!!

Lopt and Papusan like this.
  7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    That is very weird.... I mean you are hooking it up with the laptop off then turning it on right?

8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I'm using RTX 3070 in my Area-51m R1. No issues with having to restart. Make sure the connections are all snug. Try reversing the amp wire to laptop as well.

I run both RTX 2080 (internal) and RTX 3070 (external) and put load on both, never have issues having to restart.

Virale likes this.
  9. Pollen

Pollen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Edit*

Nevermind was asking If I could flash a 2080 to 2070 vbios and giving reason as to why (the thermal throttling and undervolts, etc that I have to do a 2070 Is probably better performance) but I doubt anyone would know for certain.

Cheers all.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  10. Saryon1

Saryon1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes the laptop was and is off whenever I attach the graphics amp cord. I honestly have only disconnected it once and the oddity still persists.

I'll try and switch the cable ends between the amp and the laptop. I'll be SHOCKED if that's the answer, but stranger things have happened....

Fire Tiger likes this.