*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nobody’s knows, however given all laptop rtx3080 are locked at 165watts max or below, there’s no point launching an r3 as performance is limited by power. The 51m r2 with 200 watt 2080s is not far behind the 3080 165w laptop gpus.

None of the other usual manufacturers of desktop replacement laptop have produced a rtx3080 with around 200 watts.

I suspect it’s a Nvidia thing telling manufactures what they can and can’t do.

The 51m was highly popular (look at the amount of comments / interest on this forum about it). I suspect Dell will bring back the 51m but wait for alder lake and potentially rtx3080 super or rtx 4000 series when there will be more meaningful increase in performance. Either way I don’t expect we will see anything until ces 2022 at the earliest.

MogRules, Clamibot and chewbakaats58 like this.
  2. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We can only hope, but I most certainly have my doubts.

3. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Regardless of the heatsink, the same amount of heat will be produced by the 51M. The heatsink will just make it such that it gets expelled from your 51M to the surrounding air more efficiently, but you’ll still have the same amount of heat flowing out of your PC and into your room.

The problem to solve is not the heat produced by the 51M (no heatsink is going to make it “produce less heat”). The 51M can be “cooled better”, meaning you can pull heat out of it better with a better heatsink or a laptop cooling pad or something. But none of those will make it magically produce less heat overall.

You should look to improve airflow in your room, cooling your room more, or the only actual way to make your system produce less heat is to run it with more aggressive undervolting/underclocking at the expense of performance.

Good luck!

jorotaruGuy likes this.
  4. jorotaruGuy

jorotaruGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was hoping more along the lines that with the vapor chamber, the air coming out of the laptop wouldn't be as hot, and so my room temperature would be lower (which would in turn also help keep the laptop little cooler too), but what you're saying makes sense. I've already undervolted as far as it will go without blue screening, and I've also disabled turbo boost. Replacing the heatsink was the only thing left that I could think of that would help. I can't really do much to my room either but I guess I'll save the $300 USD if that's the case.

Virale likes this.
  5. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    100% that’s the case. The laptop might run cooler itself, but the room will be just as hot.

Also, in that sense, the laptop itself is taking in air from its surroundings, so as the room gets hotter, so will your laptop.

Perhaps invest the $300 or a portion of it on a small portable AC unit? You know? Those with wheels and all! All you need with those should be an electrical outlet and a way to dispense water from condensation. That or just a big fan? Maybe several fans? Pushing air into/out of the hot room?

Haha there are ways my friend…

Fire Tiger and jorotaruGuy like this.
  6. Daniel_alienware

Daniel_alienware Newbie

Reputations:
    Good afternoon. I have a lot of problems with Alienware Command Center, probably because of the OCControls app. Every time I restart the PC I need to reinstall Command Center because it doesn't load the thermal profiles properly. Any guidance?

7. raza1983

raza1983 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Daniel

I had simular issues with ACC and after troubleshooting for an few hours I found out it was Kaspersky Security Cloud causing the issues on start up!!!!!

If you are using Kaspersky Security Cloud try installing an alternative as this could be your issue like mine.

Also open services on your pc and change AWCCService to automatic start - (not delayed start)

good luck

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    PSA - Latest Nvidia Drivers BIOS 1.5 and Gsync

Just a head's up about what happened to me YMMV,

If you are running BIOS 1.5 and have a Chi Mei display you probably already know about The Gsync issue.

If you are sometimes foolish like me you might update your Video drivers with Nvidia's latest just to see if your missing anything, well they have been working hard to add compatibility for Gsync monitors each update and while it has not been a problem, the latest release changed that for me here.

471.96 Causes the Black screen flickering that you get when you enable Gsync in Nvidia control panel when running BIOS 1.5 with a Chi Mei display WITHOUT Gsync enabled in Nvidia control panel.

So it seems something Nvidia has done has unintentionally enabled some aspect of Gsync at the driver level that affects the display even if Gsync is disabled in Nvidia control panel.

I tried switching to Dellaliensnwares official most recent driver and the problem persisted.

Anyway, just a heads up for the old guard like me that still have a functioning Area 51M and are running BIOS 1.5, you might want to think twice before updating your video drivers to version 471.96 YMMV.

9. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Can you elaborate?

10. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Maybe Dell could go with an Area 51m Advantage Edition. The RX6800m on my Strix G15 does spike to 180W+. Just imagine the performance of a laptop with an 5900X and a RX6800m that could run at 200W all the time.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

Virale likes this.