*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. sazistas

sazistas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My motherboard also died recently but I managed to find the faulty part. There were two exploded mosfets near the DC-in ports. If you look closely there you may find the same failure. There are two on one side and two on the other. I just ordered the parts from aliexpress, desoldered the exploded parts, soldered the new and now its back in fully working condition again.
    If you dont have warranty you can also enable it again for around 250 euros for 1 year. No need to sell your laptop for parts.

etern4l likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yup. Unreliable trash. Status quo.

etern4l, DreDre, Clamibot and 3 others like this.
  3. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OOOOOOF, this guys' story is painful to watch.

I already purchased a replacement laptop. Not interested in giving Dell any more money. Not interested in spending more money fixing this beautiful garbage.

4. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    So much potential in this as a DTR, instead its just an easily cleaned laptop, sad really. I don't blame Frank Azor for leaving.

etern4l and Biker Gremling like this.
  5. Biker Gremling

Reputations:
    Frank left for AMD and then we got the G14, high powered AMD laptops and the G15 Advantage Edition. Looks to me that the A51m was his pet project that got beaten by management and beancounters. So sad something this amazing was killed due to Dellness.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

etern4l, Docsteel and Virale like this.
  6. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Since the last update of AWCC Application is out, I'm getting an unclosable prompt of the update when opening AWCC. The thing is I cannot update (and don't want) to this last version of AWCC Application (which is: R281M_WIN_5.3.2.0_A00). Whenever the installation process launches, it eventually displays a prompt which forces me to locate the "correct .msi file for the AWCC application". By default, it goes to this pattern C:\Users\Public\Documents\Downloaded Installations\{DF084855-4DEC-4D1E-BD57-CFEFE3A914F4} but then it says it cannot read the .msi file correctly...
    It also happens when trying to install the latest AWCC application downloaded from the Dell website.

Have a nice day,

Vanya

7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Curious, anyone using the slim 240-watt power supplies with their A51m R1? Looking at part number
    KJXPP 450-AHHE. The connector size is the same as the originals (7.4mm).

DreDre likes this.
  8. Biker Gremling

Reputations:
    I did purchase one of the 240W to try. Behavior is the same as the 180W power supply. The laptop detects it's on 330+240W

Docsteel and DreDre like this.
  9. ErikO

ErikO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello Gents,

Area-51M, 9900K + 2070 here. No previous problems to date.

Shut it down after emails, went out, came back and no post. AW logo flashing RED. Battery problem I searched that out as.

Went to open her up and reset bios battery, noticed the case was bulging already. Back off, sure enough the battery looked like it was ready to explode.

Removed offending battery, reset bios, she booted. Horray - as I am deployed for business just now.

Two days later, she stopped altogether during gaming. Never o/c GPU, and CPU at 5.0GHz only.

Took an hour to start again.

AW logo now flashing GREEN. Hmm PSU problem? It can run on either PSU, so I doubt that. Running 330W & 240W supplies. (What bulk to travel with).

Takes an hour to start up again. Whenever both supplies are removed (or system gracefully shut down), it takes much button pressing & disconnecting & reconnecting of PSUs to get her to start again... so I'm left with never being able to shut her down now, for fear of no immediate access to the machine.

Dell want T H R E E W E E K S to ship a new battery to me in Australia, so I told them this is my fourth and final Alienware. Not to metion we didn't get any upgradable hardware from them.

A total con job. Which leads me to my next question - what is my next laptop gents? A N Y T H I N G but Dell / Alienware recommendations please... cost is not a consideration.

It can't be less than 17".

Thanks and regards,

Me.

jclausius and alberty like this.
  10. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A Clevo X170SM-G. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

It's desktop grade hardware just like the Area 51M and is actually upgradeable past the generation of hardware it was built with.

You could also opt for the Clevo X170KM-G, which has support for both Comet Lake and Rocket Lake CPUs, and comes with an Ampere GPU. This is the newer model of the X170SM-G.