*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Maxware79

Maxware79 Alienware died in 2014

Reputations:
    Thanks. Firstly I tear down the whole laptop. Everything out. Then I lightly sand the lid and chassis. The palmrest on the M18x had the Soft-touch material which had gone sticky so I had to remove this before respraying.
    Then I use a primer spray on the lid, chassis and palmrest. Lightly sand. Spray 4-5 light coats of colour (matte black in this case). Wet sand with 2000 grit when it looks good. Lastly I sprayed 3-4 coats of clear coat (matte clear this time).
    I leave 2 days between priming and colour and then 2 more days before the clear coat. I also use grease and wax remover after sanding and the colour.
    It isn’t quite as easy as it sounds as rework usually has to be done when fine particles land on wet paint. I use a beach tent to spray in to help reduce this but it isn’t perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papusan likes this.
  2. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

I have it on my m17 R4 and its very good response time wise with good colors. If you are looking for insane brightness though, you will be disappointed. The latest gaming panels are only around 300 nits. It's fine, but I myself also love super bright panels and it's just not available for gaming panels at the moment. To me, the minimum brightness should be 500 plus nits. I don't understand why they make these standard at 300 nits. The 360hz panel is better, around 320 to 340 nits, but still not enough if you want colors to really pop.

3. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I ended up getting an R2 with the 360hz panel ... zero backlight bleed; I was so relieved as I simply can't live with BLB. The brightness is pretty good too ... need to find a good way to calibrate it a bit, though as it's a bit warm for my liking ... typical laptop, lacks brightness/contrast and R/G/B settings as well as the typical pre configured Cool/Warm/User type adjustments one finds in full size monitors but I think I can hack it with Win10's color management calibration routine ... but overall, happy with the 360hz panel. Moving windows around on the desktop never gets old LOL ...

Thanks for the input ...

~s1rrah

4. s1rrah

Reputations:
    BTW: where did you find an A51m R2 with the 3070? I'd much rather have that than my 2070 Super ... still have a two week return window as well ...

5. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Don't have the 51m, I have this panel in my m17 R4

6. s1rrah

Reputations:
    How are the thermals on your m17? Have you had to repaste? I was looking at those but thought the thinner chassis would be a throttle monster ...

7. s1rrah

Reputations:
    I've torn my A51m down and repasted at least 5 times now LOL ... it gets addictive once it becomes a routine process ... temps are excellent ...

8. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Put this in the AGA thread but no one responded yet:

So, question for all on the Area-51m R1 + AGA. I can’t seem to find this answer.

Can or can’t the AGA drive the internal display on the 51m R1? I find conflicting answers in Reddit that it won’t with G-sync on.

So is the answer:

A. “Yes, the AGA is capable of driving the internal display when G-Sync is off”?

OR

B. “No, the AGA is only capable of driving an external display. The internal display is always driven by the internal GPU. To make them work, G-Sync needs to be off”?

Thanks in advance boys!!!

9. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It was my understanding you HAVE to use an external disaply when using the AGA on the 51m, I don't know why it was designed this way, but from what I remember it was.

Lopt and Virale like this.
  10. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I have a MightySkins Glossy White Carbon Fiber on order due to arrive Friday lol... wasn't wanting glossy, but its all Amazon had in stock in white c/f for the R1.

Normimb likes this.