*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

My reaction to that message was no thanks. In my experience there have been constantly issues with updating windows, so if it is working why mess with it?

For my system it's disabled as well as all "feature" updates any supposed security update install gets delayed here for 3-6 months until they fix whatever they broke with that patch, I am not interested in any of the supposed "new features" I find all of them pointless and useless, I don't know what those people are smoking but it's not helping.

In my opinion both M$T and Apple are both doing a great job of introducing more and more people to Linux.

Papusan likes this.
  2. elflegolas

elflegolas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi guys, im getting Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding randomly (not in gaming)
    i tried to lower the gpu and memory speed to see if it helps
    but they just getting less but still happens(both 150mhz lower than default and 0.1 volt lower)
    now I wonder if I upgrade the vbios to the 200w bios will help?
    I'm still on the original 190w RTX2800 vbios
    and the temperature were just fine, even in gaming it never reaches over 84degrees on very demanding games, most games lower than 70 degrees
    and I already followed the paste and thermal pad guide to add/replace all the stuff
    motherboard is v1.5
    it doesn't seem to be a driver issue cause I already tried a lots of old or new drivers and they are the same

3. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "nvlddmkm stopped responding" is most likely your GPU settings are not stable.
    I don't believe changing Video Bios will correct that issue.

Normimb likes this.
  4. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is not entirely correct. It is part of the BIOS ROM, but most importantly of the EC (Embedded Controller) part of the BIOS. And as such it can be Disabled and Bypassed!!!
    I think a few people showed it before, including myself: simply have HWINFO64 running, disable the EC and manually control the fans. If you disable "Alienware EC" support I think it's called, the "hard-lock" at 78-79C will not happen!
    Obviously, lower temps are better and I wouldn't use the GPU constantaly at 80 Celsius, but it is up to you :)

Jontoad and Lopt like this.
  5. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I usually get this error when gamning and my MSI overclock is unstable.
    Try to restore you overclock to default and then close MSI (if you are using it) or set overclock GPU to stock in AWCC.
    If it doesn't solved the problem then reinstall video driver using DDU uninstaller. Reinstall before rebooting.

Papusan and Lopt like this.
  6. elflegolas

elflegolas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the thing is,I didn't even overclock, I even tuned lower than default and this is still happening , I already did the DDU uninstall part before with other version of drivers and its still happening, not very frequently but maybe once every few days.

7. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The same applies for instability if you undervolt too far... it could be the same. Try default clocks and voltages and see if it still happens. Make that your baseline and only after you have proven stability, start undervolting step by step and test each time.

I know you went -.1 V but this might be too far for your 2080. Maybe you got an undervolting lemon in the silicon lottery...

Lopt and Normimb like this.
  8. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi there ... I've had an Alienware R4 17 for about 4.5 years now and other than running hot, it's been a flawless machine. But the 6700HQ/GTX 1070 combo is starting to balk at some of the newer titles and so I'm considering purchasing a 10700K/RTX2070 Super Area 51m off of the Dell website. My question is this: has Alienware improved the cooling at all on the latest iterations of the 10700K based Area 51 machines? Also, if overheating becomes an issue, will Dell come out and assist with a repaste?

Thanks in advance,
    s1rrah

9. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    IMO from what I have seen and read the simple answer is not really and no.

If you are set on getting that particular machine best bet IMO would be buying from a 3rd party rebuilder who will re paste it with better quality paste and build it more to your needs, but the box can only move so much air.

10. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think I'm going to study the hell out of some of the better tear down videos on youtube and repaste it myself ... doesn't look all that user friendly but looks easier than the R4 17 tear down ...

Went with a Dell Outlet refurb ... price was just to good to pass up .. Area 51m R2 / 10700K / 2070 Super / 32gb 3200mhz DDR4 / 360hz IPS 300 nits panel / 3 years premium onsite support ... a mere $2395.00 ... crossing my fingers on the condition ... but that price though ... especially considering the 3 years premium support being drastically reduced/on sale ... and also the past week had really good coupon codes (they all expire today) ... just the coupon code saved me $500 ...

c69k likes this.