*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I believe someone here mentioned they were able to unlock the thermal slider on 1.12 and didn't see much difference between 1.12 and 1.5.0 but YMMV each system will be a little different.

From what I have read here 1.2 seems to be fine, if its working for you there is no real reason to change it IMO.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  2. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Others will correct me if I am wrong, but I think I remember seeing people say they were able to unlock their thermal slider all the way up to version 1.12 or 1.13, however there is still the issue of other thermal management in the machine which may or may not cause stuttering as you approach 76c - 80c varies a bit by machine and what you are running at the time, your ambient air temp in the room etc.
    Myself I have been back and forth several times and decided Gsync isn't worth it for me, I get the most stable and stutter free performance on the games I play running BIOS 1.5.0 with thermal slider set at 78c.

3. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All you have to do to unlock the slider again is replace the "profiles.zip" folder to a copy that is older than when they locked the slider. I use a copy of the profiles.zip from June 1st 2020. Just copy and paste it in the OCCcontrolService folder to overwrite the folder and then set it to read only. Then just restart the laptop and the slider is unlocked again. you have to do it again every time overclock controls updates every couple months though.

The guides they had on this thread had a lot more steps to unlocking the slider, but I have never had to do anything other than replace the folder and restart to unlock it. super easy.

The newest bios has been the most stable and the smoothest gameplay for me. I set the thermal slider at 77.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Lopt likes this.
  4. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

That's encouraging to hear, maybe I will give it a shot again if I get bored and see if it works here as well.

5. oni222

oni222 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So wait the thermal throttling happening before 80c is not a bios lock but a software one from Alienware command center? That does not make sense because the throttling happens even without the software being installed (most the time that I format my laptop I don't even install it).

Can you please point the guide that has the latest version of the bios working with 80c thermal max on the gpu? I am curious on the exact steps.

Thank you.

6. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Use a couple of hours in this thread
    Force downgrade Alienware Area-51m Bios (or any alienware) to locked lower versions

jc_denton and Lopt like this.
  7. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only 2380 pages to go through ;)

8. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's both Bios limited AND software limited, but at different temperatures. You can bypass the command center lock, but not the bios limit.

The Bios throttles it hard at 79ish degrees and drops the GPU to 300mhz. Dells fix instead of raising the bios limit was to lock it in command center to 75 deg to avoid the hard throttle. if you set it to 77 or 78 deg it never hits the Bios throttle ever and you won't have any throttling that you will notice or FPS drops. one of the benchmarkers on this thread tested the newer bios with it set to 78 degrees vs. 1.5 bios unlocked and there was basically no performance difference in games.

uugui shi and Lopt like this.
  9. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I'm getting messages about updating Windows 10 Pro to latest..... is there any issues with doing this?

mmmm. How do you say at 78 degrees?

10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Macrium Reflect Rescue Media ISO v7.3.5758 (with RAID support and cloning to dissimilar hardware supported).

Bug fixes and Improvements v7.3.5758 - 22nd March 2021
    • Server Plus - Exchange Mailbox Restore
      • When filtering by message type, the Mailbox Restore wizard would not always display the correct description for the filter being applied. This has been resolved.
      • When applying a default message filter, all messages would be filtered out. This has been resolved.
    • Rescue Media Builder
      RMBuilder could fail to retain its configuration state after build failure. This has now been resolved.
    • Backup Definitions View
      The 'Type' column wasn't populated with the definition type. This has now been resolved.
    • File and Folder Restore
      The time taken to restore has now been added to the end of the restore log.

Use RUFUS to make a bootable USB Flash Disk from it

Note: I don't install Macrium Reflect, I only boot from the USB Flash Disk to create or restore images. That way I have none of its bloated services running in the background.

Be smart...be like Spartan.. [​IMG]

jc_denton, Papusan and Lopt like this.