*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just for reference..... Melbourne domestic airport.... not even remove from backpack at security.... no issues.
    Brisbane airport... remove from cover into dirty tray..... scanned and then detected issue in red box????? Rescanned and then drug/bomb swab.....wtf???? Then cleared.....

Will check how dirty the white got as a result.
    Now not used or charged from Nov 30th 2020..... will also reveal the battery level(80%) before left.... on setup home
    Edit: So NOOB mistake hooked up to USB C monitor that was off on trying to start on battery power... first start and did not start. Connected Power to lappie and showing 79% battery. Shutdown and monitor unhooked, on battery.... started no issues. When I original shutdown pressed and held left shift to ensure all power drain off.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  2. rockroland

rockroland Newbie

Reputations:
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I recently installed this vapor chamber heatsink assembly in an Area 51M R1 9900k / RTX 2080 and it worked shockingly well.
    Previously my idle temps were low 50 C range and this brought my idle temps down to low 30 C range. (my cpu doesn't idle that quietly and I gain -5 C if I shut down some background processes)

I used liquid metal between the IHS and the vapor chamber and changed out the thermal pads when I did it. It is a tight fit but I eventually got it installed.

With a modest undervolt (~1.32v 5GHz) you can sustain all cores at 5GHz but you will be in the low to mid 90 C.

Later I installed a waterblock on the cold side of the vapor chamber that runs 10 C water through it and with that idle temps are 20 C and all core 5GHz is low 70 C range. The cpu can sustain 200W indefinitely with small overclock but anything more than 210W and I'll be at 100 C. I would call that pretty remarkable for a laptop.

The fans on this assembly are also better. They are quieter, faster to respond and push more air.

I would definitely recommend this as the cheapest and easiest long run fix for the heat issues.

This is the ebay product title: Vapor Chamber for ALIENWARE Area-51m 51M R1 ALW51M Fan With Heatsink 0FY4CJ
    This is the seller: cicichen594
    This is the price I paid:US $268.00

I received it from Hong Kong in about 10 days.
    You can see the feedback I left for him was pretty positive to say the least: Tx# 264882164884

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Fire Tiger and Docsteel like this.
  3. UltraGSM

UltraGSM ...so many Alienwares...

Reputations:
    Ive looked trough that, it was nothing to see/find/fix etc, connection on lcd cable was 100% perfect. And yes, I swapped 2060 back number of times to verify, and 2060 works every time while 2070 does not. Seems like bad 2070 to me. Anyone has 2070 vBIOS dumps for it? Or perhaps PCB schematics?

Thanks

4. Asdesas

Asdesas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the rtx 2070 is new? can be uninstalled the rtx2060 driver and put the rtx2070 back and restart

5. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Dell are you reading Rockland post I WANT MY PROMISED UPGRADEABLE Area 51m from current max spec to this solution!!!!!

6. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is this meant to be sarcastic?

jc_denton and Papusan like this.
  7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Hey folks - I suddenly noticed the other day my fans were spinning harder than usual. No heating issues etc. but what I noticed was my AWCC was not loading, just coming up then the spinning windows doodle going around and around. I reinstalled AWCC, but while everything appears to work, the temp profile isn't being applied it seems UNLESS I click on it once. After that until reboot, it works fine until I shutdown. Anyone seen this issue by chance?

8. darkgamer_gs

darkgamer_gs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had a similar issue. When i use custom thermal profile, fans were not kicking and the laptop was overheating. When i switched back one of the default profiles, it was working. Then i have found out the problem is related with Alienware OC Controls. I have uninstall and installed Alienware Command Center and OC Controls based on a guide which can be found in this forum. Now it works properly except that annoying pop up tells me to upgrade oc controls and sound profile add ons even though they are up to date. You can try this and try to revert previous versions of OC Controls or Command Center.

Lopt and Docsteel like this.
  9. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip - I seem to recall that now that you mention it!

10. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Random question--Any of you guys mine on your 51m and have a 2080? Been doing it for over a month and curious to see what hashrates people have been able to get out of it. I haven't overclocked the memory as we all know how sensitive these guys are to heat lol. Just running stock clocks and currently get about 38-43 MH/s at about $4-$4.30ish a day. Everything stays super cool with fans at max speeds, but unfortunately don't have a way to check the gpu memory junction temps like I can on my 3090 desktop PC.

Virale and MogRules like this.