*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jnyvio

jnyvio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well i changed the version numbers in both registry locations.. It didn't seem to hurt anything. I changed it back as it did not work. So i ended up blocking awcc from windows firewall. I blocked the inbound and outbound.. So far so good... It seems to not be trying to update now... I will keep my eyes on it fo now. Fingers crossed. Tnx

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not sure if anyone else had problems with it, but the newest nvidia game ready driver on geoforce experience (461.72) introduced fps drops down to 40ish fps and choppiness that lasted for like 60 seconds at a time before returning to normal on some games for me. especially Apex Legends . I rolled back to 461.40 and it went back to normal.

All the drivers after the drivers in the 45X.XX range have been bad for VR anyways. but that is a different story. for some reason they just aren't fixing it for months now and people are pretty pissed about it on VR message boards.

Virale likes this.
  3. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think I may have actually noticed this in WZ. FPS was crap recently but assumed it was the zombies update... (it’s especially laggy near that area in Verdansk). Maybe it’s the drivers lol! Thanks!

4. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hello, is it safe to downgrade from 1.13 (latest bios) to 1.5.0 anymore? I would love to downgrade again ( 1.7 ---> 1.5.0 ) successfully.

Many thanks

5. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here is the answer.
    *OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Papusan and devilhunter like this.
  6. devilhunter

Reputations:
  7. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    IMO just stick with 1.5.0.

If you have Chi Mei panel and feel you absolutely have to have Gsync then run 1.7.3 and unlock the thermal to 78 degrees.

DreDre, Vanya and Normimb like this.
  8. Normimb

Reputations:
    All we know is that bios dowgrade to 1.3.2 is breaking laptops and this doesn't matter from wich version you were downgrading.

If you have no issue with 1.13 try the settings i explained. If you have issue with this bios then downgrade to 1.7.3 if you wish to keep G-sync or 1.5.0 to loose G-sync but gained max temp GPU up to 87C. Personnaly i think any bios downgrade is risky. Are the 3 FPS more in games worth it?

9. devilhunter

Reputations:
    thanks for your reply, I don’t plane to use 1.3.1 since it doesn’t have advantages over 1.5.0

but I had to upgrade to 1.13.0 (hardware related , hdd not recognizable). And I’m afraid since it’s not confirmed people can downgrade from 1.13.0 not (1.3.0)

I’m sorry because I’m scared to Brick my machine

also is this covered by warranty (Accidental damage)?

10. Normimb

Reputations:
    If the latest bios doesn't cripple performance then i see no real advantage for you to downgrade. As i said before make sure to create a 78C profil in AWCC and the 200W Vbios (if you have a good paste, cooling) or the 180Vbios is you have stock paste (not so good cooling). If then you are not satisfied with performance (wich i doubt) then maybe you can take the risk of downgrading bios (but never 1.3.2)