*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. echterion

echterion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    BTW, anybody here replaced his/her 144Hz FHD screen with a 4k screen? I am planning to buy a 4k panel for my machine and I would like to know if I need to buy a new 40pin eDP cable. I read in another topic that the 144Hz machine has a 40pin cable and that is useable with a 4k panel. This is my target: B173ZAN03.3.

2. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guys, can anybody help me out here?

1 of the 51m's (right hand side) has a MUCH more yellow tint vs left hand side?

Any ideas - it's a fresh OS install ?

I just checked the numbers and the left hand side is as follows

LG Philips [Unknown Model: LGD05E2] - Week 0 2018.

The right side is a Chi Mei panel week 3 2019.

I really don't like the low brightness, i think @HaloGod2012 said somewhere these new panels have an anti-blue light filter built-in?

Is there any way anybody can help me calibrate to match the LG? i have no idea what I am doing.

@DaMafiaGamer @Spartan@HIDevolution any idea lads?

Edit - Going to answer my own post, and leave it here as it may help others in the future.

Calibrated the Chi Mei panel to almost match the LG, much better and near-identical viewing experience, much better.

IMG_20210206_112405_resized_20210206_113316234.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    MogRules and Virale like this.
  3. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I find this interesting, too. However, the 2080 is too slow for me. In games like CoD I need 100+ fps (FHD is the only option), and FHD is too blured on a UHD-Display. QHD-Games (with 60+ fps) are sharp enough. A UHD-Display would be optimal for a 3080 (maybe this year) or a 4080 in 2022 (maybe...)

4. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    The Chi-Mei panel is simply awesome, it has good contrast, little ghosting, and the colors easily are on par with my AW3418DW monitor. I pity the folks who got the first screens on the A51M R1, they frankly suck in comparison.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Helifax and MogRules like this.
  5. echterion

echterion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Honestly I don't care the fps in 4k because if it isn't enough, I can lower the graphics (it is not an issue for me), but when I'm only internet surfing or watching movei it could be great to have an UHD display. I had in my prev. Predator 17x an 4k panel and it was much more better picture quality than the FHD panel.

6. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I understand that. But I use the Area 51m only for gaming.

7. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So.. I went ahead and ordered this Vapor Chamber for my Area 51m:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vapor-Chamber-for-ALIENWARE-Area-51m-51M-R1-ALW51M-Fan-With-Heatsink-0FY4CJ/264882164884?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
    [​IMG]

It didn't arrive on time sadly, even if it was shipped as International Priority with FedEx. (Apparently FedEx had some serious issues around that period. I ordered it on the 15th January and I got it on the 3rd February, not too bad, but it did miss the 27th January delivery date).

Unfortunately the HS came bent out of the box :( The build quality is awesome. But, it made poor contact on the GPU & CPU die.
    So, it took me around 3 days of "messing around" and re-adjusting it to get the GPU to have proper contact and the CPU to have proper contact.

Out of the box, the thermal pads weren't making proper contact and the contact with the GPU was very very poor. As a result it would instantly spike to 80 Celsius :(
    So... I ditched the pads (the pads from the OG HS don't fit properly as well) and instead I went the "messy" route and used K5 Pro Thermal Paste for all the VRMs, Memory Modules, etc.
    (Since I had to manually adjust it and as it was bent from transportation or factory?! I couldn't have used thermal pads anyway - as I don't know the spacings after my adjustments).
    Thus, I was amazed how great the K5 Pro is! Sure, it is messy as hell! And can be problematic to clean-up afterwards - if someone cares about that :D

After 3 days of continuously re-adjusting it (by bending different parts of it a bit a time - using my hands and a few tools), adding washers to increase pressure, changing screws, etc,
    and 1 tube of MX-4, I decided instead of using the TG Kryonaut that I used before and I use it for my PCs and other Alienware Laptops, to try the Thermalright TF8 paste.
    And it did not disappoint! (It is thicker than Kryonaut and I think it is better for laptops in general. Kryonaut requires a good pressure for it to work properly - like in a Desktop Cooler - something not really present in Laptops)

In any case, after 3 days of going forward and backwards, I managed to get everything running very very smooth:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course, everyone is asking about the results and if it was worth it :D :)

From my Point Of View, it WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Here is Metro Exodus:
    (the MOST GPU Intensive game that I have' ever seen to date!) running for 30 minutes on Full Fan Mode with the 200W VBios and +135Mhz Core +500Mhz Memory (overclock)
    The i9 9900k CPU runs at 5.0Ghz on 6 Cores, 4.7Ghz on last 2 cores with -100mV in this image.
    [​IMG]

Thus, I decided to do benchmarks again and see for the 1st time how much I can push the GPU.
    I managed to push the GPU to a +150Mhz Core, +500Mhz Memory (didn't go with memory above this) and here are the results:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18157429

I want to mention this is on BIOS: v.1.7.3. v.1.50 seems to give worse results for me. Obviously v.1.12 & v.1.13 will give worse results CPU side because of all the Intel CPU fixes - that limit the CPU performance :(
    (And Full G-SYNC support :D :D :D)

For the record the maximum usable score I was able to get on the stock HS was 11 085 :
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18039408

All great and good, but how are the actual temps?!

Normal Gaming:
    Using Metro Exodus (other games, including Cyberpunk 2077 will stress the GPU less. After 1 hour:

GPU: Full Fan - 69 Celsius Max / Performance Fan - 73 Celsius Max / Quite Fan - 78 Celsius Max
    (200W VBIOS, +135Mhz Core, +500Mhz Memory - for some reason using RTX features will crash the driver if above +135Mhz Core. Rasterisation ONLY works fine with + 150Mhz on Core).
    CPU: I didn't really measure it, but anywhere from 60-70 Celsius to 80 Celsius (in games that are CPU Bound like Assassin's Creed)

CPU Benchmarks Cinebench R20:
    On stock HS, anything above 4.5Ghz would result in thermal throttling and clocks will go down drastically. The CPU will go down and the lowest clock I've seen was 3.9- 4.1Ghz (Across 3 consecutive runs) - Full Fans.

On the Vapor Chamber, I was able to clock the CPU to:
    - 5.0 Ghz on 1-6 core
    - 4.8 Ghz on 7-8 core
    - PL1 & PL2 default to 210W
    - Cache Ratio x47
    - Core Voltage Offset - 120V

As a result, the CPU will still reach 100 Celsius and thermal throttle. But! The lowest clock that I've seen was 4.6Ghz! It will hover between 4.6 / 4.7 / 4.8 Ghz! (Across 3 consecutive runs) - Full Fans.
    (Liquid Metal would definitely make things a lot better here, but I don't have the tools to delid the i9, re-apply the IHS apply both here and there and so on and so forth).

So definitely the Vapor Chamber on the CPU is doing a great deal:) (I would still not run this CPU above 4.7 Ghz :D)

So... Would I recommend this MOD for the Alienware Area 51m R1? Hell YES! I do!

HOWEVER!!!

The way I have received the HeatSink - it was practically unusable! I had to meticulously adjust bit by bit (by hand - copper is soft), add paste, put it back, remove it, check for contact: over and over and over and over for 3 days!!! If you don't have the patience or you are not willing to spend the required time to get it to work on your system, I don't think it will work "out of the box" :(

I for one, I am really happy and I don't regret "wasting those days" as now I have the Area 51m on TRUE desktop performance levels! :)

And for the FIRST TIME :D I am actually able to use the Quite Profile to actually, you know, Play games without the GPU throttling down to some weird and CRAZY numbers :D

It is really SAD that Dell/Alienware didn't make an OFFICIAL Vapor Chamber REPLACEMENT for the Area51m R1.
    (Sadly I don't have $5000 growing on Trees to replace my laptop every year, since you decided to improve the COOLING solution, Dell!) -_-

Hope this post helped :)
    If you have any questions or want more info just ask and I will try to answer them :)

Cheers,
    Helifax

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  8. Docsteel

Reputations:
    I seem to recall seeing somewhere that someone did actually.... Google ?

9. Docsteel

Reputations:
    I am not this motivated but I am happy to live in a world where people are.

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wow, great job. I like how TS score from your 2019 laptop is basically just a notch below the results we are seeing from the highest spec mobile 3080 :D

Helifax likes this.