*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Haven't been here for a long time. I built a desktop with 5900x and 3090, but I sold it...I love DTRs... :)

Now I wait for the Area 51m R3 with 150+W 3080 and until then I keep using my R1.

I have several questions:
    - has the R2-fans a other noise-characteristic?
    - they are incompatible with the R1, right?
    - has the R2 a other fan-controller chip? (R1: Ene KB9543QB)

Thanks in advance!

2. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So set BIOS to only charge to 80%.
    Turned off via shift key held down(reduces drainage of battery by switching everything off)
    How long can I have Laptop not used or plugged in without needing to charge battery?

3. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I wouldn't bet on an R3 personally. So far its been a typical bait-and-switch on "upgradeability" now for two generations of Area 51Ms. The only advantage I can think of now with the Area 51M series is they are easier to open and clean out. Steep price to pay for that convenience, I would strongly personally recommend Lenovo next time around. Same (or better) performance for one hell of a lot less money and BS.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Normimb likes this.
  4. echterion

echterion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't think that we will have R3. I heard some rumors from Dell side that they don't plan to continue this. But if I am wrong I don't think that buying from them the R3 would be a wise decision. Dell screwed up us two times in a row....

5. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you for your opinion / assessment.

I hope there will be another Area 51m. This year I don't need a new one, but in 1-3 years (R4, R5...).

A big advantage for me for an Area 51m or a DTR is the fan-noise. I play without headphones. With undervolting and little clock reduction you can play quietly (I play at 1900/1900 RPM, and the fans from the Area 51m are very pleasant at this speed). This is not the case with thin notebooks...

Other DTR aren't quieter or cooling better, but they're thicker, heavier and not so nice (design).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  6. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What does Lenovo have that equals the performance of the Alienware Area 51m? Maybe I haven't checked them out in a while but I would find that hard to believe. Link please if you have one!

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm not a believer in Lenovo either (the one Yoga I owned had build quality issues and mobo failed after like 2-3 years) but there could be a delta in quality, upgradeability and support. Would be interesting to know more about those aspects too.

There is definitely a price delta - not getting ripped off is important too.

Normimb likes this.
  8. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    This particular system changed my mind: https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/lenovo-legion-y740-15-inch

Perhaps it won't hold up, but AW's in general show issues after about 2.5 to three years I think that is just the state of the industry. This from someone who has owned about 7 or 8 AW laptops and two desktops now in succession and I am very careful with my equipment. They may not have a system equaling the Area 51m outright, OTOH, they haven't double-talked their way around their systems the way Dell has repeatedly. The system I linked was not far off from an A51M for significantly less cost.

The only saving grace is the onsite repairs now. Without Frank at the helm I am not expecting much from Dell on handling of AW from here on out personally.

Papusan, etern4l and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If there isn't another Area 51M, you can try Clevo's DTR offerings. Yeah the designs aren't flashy, but that can be a good thing since nobody will want to steal your laptop. I actually like their DTR designs, but that's because I like industrial style things.

jclausius, Docsteel, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, and I mean we are talking true upgradeability - even The Implacable @Mr. Fox is happy after heavy tweaking, naturally. ;)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Docsteel, Papusan and Clamibot like this.