*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot if the new settings I tried don't work.

Have not repasted, but I did just undervolt through Command Center. Things seem to have stabilized a bit now, have a limited test it wasn't pushing past 76C, but I'll give it another try tonight during a longer gaming session. I also just opened up the laptop and removed as much dust as I could and raised the laptop a little off the desk to allow for better airflow.

Now that you mention it though, for the last year and a half I haven't had this problem, but all that gaming was done in my cool basement. I recently moved into some temporary housing and the office I'm in is a bit small and gets quite warm in the late afternoon. I'll open up the doors tonight to let some cool air in!

etern4l likes this.
  2. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Alright, happy to report back that I just played an hour of Cyberpunk 2077 and didn't experience any thermal throttling! Things I did:

1. Dusted all the fans/vents
    2. Raised the laptop up slightly to allow for better airflow
    3. Had a window open to keep the temp in the room down
    4. Undervolted the CPU
    5. Slight OC on the GPU

Played for an hour and never went over 75C! Now sure how much numbers 1-3 affected my results, but glad everything is working now and I can have a smooth gaming experience again.

3. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Halewafa you running 1.5 Bios?
    What under volt did you do to?
    What GPU overclock amount?
    What work around did you use for slider?

I was surprised by the dust from raised laptop I had to clean from exterior vents.

4. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I think it helps having 61 year old eyes, 30FPS looks fine to me now lol.

Jontoad and Aroc like this.
  5. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, running 1.5 Bios.
    For CPU (9700k) I went: Frequency 4.6 GHz, 1.1v, and -100mV
    For GPU (2080) I went: 0% power limit, 76C Thermal Limit, +100 MHz Core, and +150 MHz Memory

For the workaround I fully uninstalled Command Center (instructions), then reinstalled it (link) and manually installed OC Controls (an older version). After you install OC Controls it's going to ask you to restart, don't do that. Do this first, go to:

C:\Program Files\Alienware\Alienware Command Center\OCControlService

1) Right click on the file named Profiles.zip then click on Properties

2) At the bottom of the Properties page, check the box which says "Read-only", hit Apply, then Ok

3) Copy this folder onto your desktop

4) Go ahead and restart

Once you restart and open up Command Center, its going to tell you that there's an updated OC Control, go ahead and update. After its updated, close Command Center, paste the Profiles.zip folder from your desktop back into the C: drive location and overwrite the updated one. Open up Command Center and you should be good.

None of this will work if you don't fully uninstall Command Center and follow those directions. Good luck!

MogRules and DreDre like this.
  6. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thankyou for the detailed reply.
    Much appreciated.

7. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well... my Area51m just crashed and now won't boot saying the raid hard drive failed. Sigh...

Won't boot off a Macrium Reflect copy of the c drive i have on an external hard drive either....

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  8. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does it tell you which drive is FUBAR? Are you in warranty? They can probably overnight you an SSD if your in warranty, but if not just pull out the bad drive and re-install without RAID 0, it's not even going to be noticeable aside from the size loss anyways. I would be shocked if you could "feel" the difference from a normal NVME SSD to RAID 0 SSD's. It's probably not booting off the image because it can't reproduce the RAID, that's my guess anyways.

9. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I still have premium support till February. I opened a support ticket with the qr code link it generated after a hardware scan on my OS recovery usb media now. It doesn't tell me which SSD it is. Just hard drive issue and error code 4337.

10. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just called Dell support who transferred me to alienware support when they saw i had premium support. They are going to send someone to replace both the raid SSDs. I didn't ask if they could just send the parts for me to fix it. I guess I'll just let them do it for the warranties sake. It's not like the tech could mess up too much just replacing the drives...

MogRules likes this.