*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  2. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Only a vapor chamber can solve this problem :)

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  4. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I have to say I am pretty happy with my Area51m and Cyberpunk 2077 Raytracing Ultra and it runs great!
    I hear the console people got a raw deal though until they patch that version.

5. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I've been out of the game for a while. Are we still not updating the bios/vbios or are the latest ones ok now?

I ask this because for whatever reason, while playing games, my GPU seems to throttle when hitting 79C. I went into command center and found that I couldn't adjust past 75C, so I did the workaround and I can move the slider up to 87C now, but that hasn't seemed to make a difference. Its been a little over a year since I've done any of the bios/vbios updates, wasn't sure if that could be the problem. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  6. Chris Mackenzie

Chris Mackenzie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Try using Throttlestop and Afterburner to undervolt

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Have you undervolted and repasted yet? If that didn't help enough, put on warm clothes and open the window in the winter, or set AC to 17C in the summer.

8. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    what's your FPS on those settings? i'm playing with ray tracing and ray tracing reflections turned on, ray tracing lighting on low, and ray tracing shadows off. DLSS on "performance," most graphics settings on high, but shadows low. using my 34in 3440x1440 alienware ultrawide i'm getting 50 to 60fps. i'm pretty happy with that. with ray tracing turned off it shoots to like 85fps, but it looks way too good with ray tracing on not to run it.

DreDre likes this.
  9. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't messed with the setting at all, just running it at whatever the setup detected when I installed, I looked at it and saw the preset is Ray Tracing Ultra and looking down the list it looks to be about 50/50 ultra and high for each of the individual settings I think I saw DLSS on performance here as well.
    At this point in time I don't worry about framerates, I have not run any benchmarks or even launched Rivatuner in almost a year now.
    The only thing that matters to me is that games look and play well and this game is beautiful, honestly I have not experienced any lag of any kind in Cyberpunk 2077 and only the occasional graphics glitch such as small items stuck in the ground and or floating in air and maybe 5-6 of those at most.
    I realize the console people might have a mess going on right now, but I am really happy with the game on PC it plays as expected and is really been enjoyable so far.

DreDre likes this.
  10. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    yea, i don't care about bench marks either. it's just that the closer you get to 30 fps it starts feeling lethargic to me after being used to most games running at much higher frame rates. even on RPG games that don't really need high frame rates at least 60fps and up is really what feels good now a days. that ray tracing ultra preset was smooth, but it was only targeting 30fps and for me and i just couldn't stand it. i'm sure that is where yours is running at as on that setting the default DLSS setting seems to target 30fps which allows for closer to native resolution at high settings. the performance DLSS setting seems to try and target 60fps but that means unless you turn a bit of things like shadows to low it can adjust resolution a bit more and not look as crisp. the sweet spot for me for it to look great and keep that crisp resolution at closer to 60fps was that performance DLSS with some shadows turned down.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020