*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Daniel_alienware

Daniel_alienware Newbie

Reputations:
    Good Morning. Every time I run "Alienware Command Center" Windows 10 shows the message that "OC Controls" needs to be updated. I have reinstalled the driver numerous times, but the problem persists. Any solution?

2. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Sitting at 1.50 forever now, I don't think I will play with any more BIOS updates on this machine. o_O

DreDre, Papusan, Virale and 3 others like this.
  3. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know I have rolled back from 1.12 to 1.7.3, but after yesterday I don't know if I want to roll that dice.

EDIT: I apparently like to live dangerously.....I tried it again. Successfully back on 1.7.3 this time, so either I had a bad flash and when the machine updated to 1.12 it fixed that and allowed me to go back, or you can't go back from 1.13 to older version directly and need to possible go back to 1.12 and then further back from there, maybe it's a multi step process now.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Lopt, c69k, DreDre and 1 other person like this.
  4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not sure if you remember this....but.... look at step D

I downgraded my BIOS to 1.5.0 (by force using the BIOS Recovery Method) and also downgraded my VBIOS back to the 200W version. (although this is not as important or critical as downgrading the BIOS itself in terms of performance loss)

See:

Force downgrade Alienware Area-51m Bios (or any Alienware) to locked lower versions

Note: The USB Flash Disk must be formatted as FAT not FAT32

Area-51m BIOS / VBIOS Collection (mirrors)

Here is what I recommend:

a) Uninstall Alienware Update AKA Dell Update and Dell SupportAssist otherwise they will keep nagging you to update your BIOS.

b) Flash the BIOS using the Recovery USB which you created using the guide I showed you earlier.

c) Immediately head into BIOS and make sure you disable Firmware Capsule Updates in the Security tab otherwise Windows will immediately upgrade your BIOS!

d) Once you're back in Windows, reflash the same 1.5.0 BIOS again but in Windows, I had to do that last time as I was getting weird behavior (I can't remember what exactly but once you have flashed 1.5.0 in recovery mode, you will be able to flash 1.5.0 again through Windows since you're not technically downgrading anymore you are just reinstalling the same BIOS) so do that to ensure the BIOS is 100% flashed correctly.

e) The moment the BIOS is flashed, go back into BIOS and load setup defaults then save and exit (from the last tab in the BIOS)

f) Now enter BIOS again, set your battery from Adaptive to Custom and tell it to start charge at 50% and stop charge at 90%. This will ensure the battery is never over charged and will thus prolong its life.

g) In the 2nd tab in the BIOS, I recommend turning OFF Power Share as that will drain your battery if your laptop had a USB device that needs power overnight (such as an external HDD or Game Pad)

h) While you're in the BIOS, ensure that Firmware Capsule updates are OFF

Vasudev, Lopt, DreDre and 1 other person like this.
  5. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh I remember it, that's the problem though. On the original flash you couldn't get to Windows, it was completely non responsive. The only way to get it back at all was to enter the BIOS recovery menu, if I didn't use CTRL ESC then the system wouldn't boot at all.

In the end I did get it back, it might be a coincidence or it might be that they changed something and you can't jump back like that anymore, ultimately I am not trying it again to find out ;). I am sure in time someone will.

Spartan@HIDevolution and Papusan like this.
  6. rzrwolf

rzrwolf Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys, can someone please share a *. Bin backup of 51m rtx 2070 vbios? It can be done via gpu-z in a couple of clicks.

I have got a machine, reported to be after some vbios tinkering - failed update and blackscreen on start.

I would like to reflash it via hardware programmer and try to restore it.

Unfortunately was not able to extract necessary 1mb image from the Dell website vbios updater/installer.

It's a shame to have such hardware just lying around as a brick :(

MogRules likes this.
  7. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The windows key on the keyboard is not working on my R1, I've tried removing the key to clean it but it didn't work, I've also tried with another keyboard and it works. Any advice?

MogRules likes this.
  8. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is a function key on Alienware that disables the Windows key, try FN+F6 and see if it starts working again.

Papusan, etern4l and uugui shi like this.
  9. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    God I feel like an idiot right now. In my defense there's no way to know that by looking at my keyboard. Thanks you Mog

MogRules and Papusan like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations: