*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. leowestby

leowestby Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm pretty happy with mine. Only niggle is that the Tobii eye tracker doesn't work with Windows hello. Tobii say it's an Alienware decision. Seems a bit daft as it worked well on my R4

2. yggdra.omega

yggdra.omega Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wtf, seriously? That was honestly a big thing I was looking forward to, what a crock of ****.

3. leowestby

leowestby Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep, this is what Kay from Tobii technical support sent me:

"Hi Leo,

Unfortunately, this is by design.
    Windows hello feature is not supported on this device."

4. yggdra.omega

yggdra.omega Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    :rolleyes:

5. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

This screenshot looks impressive but doesn't tell the whole story.

A few things.

1) You are essentially running it @~100W (undervolted)
    2) There are two shared heat pipes, meaning that the GPU heatsink is helping a lot.
    3) How long did you run it for?
    4) Environment? Room temp, repasted, elevated back, coolerpad?

Rei Fukai likes this.
  6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There is only 1 shared heat pipe on all the shipped versions do far. And it is a thin one. See a few pages back for comparison pics.

7. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pretty sure I've seen two versions posted here yesterday. Even if it's just one 6-8mm pipe, that could be up to 20-30W dissipation boost. It definitely helps when CPU or GPU is loaded in isolation. Rendering and/or de/encoding projects would benefit greatly. But what happens when we stress both CPU and GPU?

8. firedog

firedog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick update on my US order for other folks still waiting for shipment (ordered 1/9 for 2/20 arrival then pushed to 2/28 - 3/5). After getting more run around from Dell customer support via chat who still not knowing about the backend team fixing the power cord mess and insist I call order modification, again. I contacted @DellCares on twitter and was told that my order has been shipped to Dell HQ for distribution via courier from that point.

"Thank you for your patience. We did have some mix-ups during the pre-production period. But as it stands now, the computer is already being shipped to our HQ for subsequent distribution via our selected courier. As it stands now, the order should arrive between February 28th and March 5th. As shown here: <removed url> From this point on, there shouldn't be any further delays."

When I queried why it was going to take 8 to 13 days to get to me given expedited shipment I got the following response:

"The expedited delivery is taken into account once it is ready for shipping to your end. Not for the time it takes our assembly to configure the computer and get it ready and sent to our HQ. Those are completely independent and there's no extra or hidden fee to expedite the assembly. The computer will be ready when the parts are ready."

Still does not explain if the computer is built and ready to send to me why it could take so long, I'm not sure I believe they have completed the build at this point and it's a stall tactic. Also don't get why they don't drop ship direct from China like Lenovo and others. Last Lenovo I ordered was drop shipped from China and took 2 days to get to me.

9. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Curse you Newegg! I picked the supersaver 4-7 day shipping! Not the 2 business day!

Seriously when you're not in a hurry to get something it comes quickly.
    20190220_133331.jpg

10. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have the same exact pack at home just ready to rumble, do you think to install windows in the Evo? I think should Evo would be faster than the by default sent by dell, but I haven’t seen any benchmarks of the dell ssd

Terreos likes this.