*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. cfortney

cfortney Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone here with an i9-9900k ever tried swapping it for a 9700k to get better temperatures? I attempted this, disassembly was pretty easy and straight forward but the system will no longer post. The i9 and i7 share the same chipset so I can't understand what's wrong here. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure the i7-9900K is a common CPU to use. So I don't think that's out of the ordinary.

I don't have any first hand knowledge with exactly the Area 51m R1, but have you tried removing removing all power sources (AC AND laptop battery), and then remove the mobo's system/BIOS button battery for an extended period of time (I've seen where ppl wait 20-30 minutes, but I don't know why that'd be required). Then hold the power button down for 10-15 seconds while without power to discharge everything.

Then put everything back together and see if it POSTs after that? From experience, I've seen weird things with UEFI/BIOS when swapping CPUs, and a clean UEFI/BIOS reset may help.

3. cfortney

cfortney Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'm giving this a shot now. I just got off the phone with tech support, no help at all. I paid like $500 extra for on-site tech support and every level of warranty they've got. Their tech support guy said "maybe you bent the pins on the i7 when you swapped" and I just slapped my forehead...intel chips don't have pins on them. Then he went on to say that if I had bought the i7 from Dell they would help me, because maybe Dell's i7's have a different wattage or configuration...slapped my forehead again...right, Dell is manufacturing Intel chips now. So oh well, I may have to just live with the abysmal thermals of the 9900k and swap them back.

4. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not sure if you got anywhere. Hopefully this worked out for you.

I'm with you on the i7-9700K, that is the same CPU regardless of where you got it. There are no special Dell CPUs. Just to verify, it is the i7-9700K, not some other CPU like the "KS" or some other marking? Although I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as an i7-9700KS. There's also a slight chance the CPU itself is actually bad. Do you have another LGA 1151 machine (or a friend or local computer shop) in which you could test the CPU?

Now, in regards to the pins, the tech support guy was probably referring to the pins on the motherboard that make contact with the CPU. I've seen ppl drop the CPU and bend those pins on the motherboard, and they don't make contact afterward. Usually you can look at the motherboard socket from a variety of different angles and see a bent pin or dark spot where the pins are not aligned correctly. Otherwise a Jeweler's loop or magnifying glass can help spot these things too.

However, if you put the i9-990K back in and it works correctly (maybe after some slight benching or load tests), then you know the pins are probably not the problem.

If you *do* go back to the i9-990K, for temp reasons have you thought about under-volting the CPU using @unclewebb's Throttle Stop or some of the Dell utilities to lower voltage, and thus reduce heat?

MogRules and Papusan like this.
  5. raza1983

raza1983 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you tried dissabling hyperthreading on your 9900k to basically give you a 9700K with higher cache and stock boost speeds?

jclausius likes this.
  6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Should work automatically - I mean I have a 9700K..... that's really weird if it doesn't. I seem to recall when I added a SSD to my AW Aurora I had issues, then after two fruitless calls to Tech Support, I finally found that Secure Boot was the issue (its obvious they were told NOT to tell me since they wanted to sell Dell's own equipment). Have you tried disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS just in case? My guess would be Windows 10 Secure Boot is seeing the value for the CPU and its running afoul of some value recorded in relation to the driver for the CPU. FWIW it runs significantly cooler, and if you avoid anything but a slight overclock its even better.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Normimb likes this.
  8. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So when when are we thinking the 3000 series will be available for notebooks and the 51m? I’m guessing spring 2021 earliest if we go off the yearly cycle.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I expect Nvidia will need remaining Ampere chips for desktops to fight AMD and Big Navi before and in the Christmas holidays:) AMD is no threat in the notebook game. Why push out 3000 series chips for gaming books before they need to? People buy whatever is available today. Old EOL chips have still a value, LOOL

jclausius likes this.
  10. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    All this BS with Dellienware over the Area 51M-R1 has left a bad taste in my mouth, I am kind of glad that I changed jobs and don't travel now which means I can depend more on my desktop. Probably going Lenovo next time if I ever get a new gaming laptop after the A51M-R1 chokes.

Papusan likes this.