*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes, the vapor chamber does not fit well with the top screws on the motherboard. All mods with a vapor chamber that I have (early prototype with ebay, current revision with ebay and modification from northern blade with taobao) have this problem.
    Funny, but I got even worse results (in idle) with CPU temperatures than when using a factory cooling system.
    20201018_225657.png

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    devilhunter likes this.
  2. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    core frequency is more 4.8 Ghz, vs 4.6 Ghz

3. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes, but idle temperatures increased from 47-50 to 56-60. I think that the evaporation chamber starts to work effectively at temperatures around 60-70 degrees.

4. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    mine at Alienware balanced fan profile - Power mode : balanced stay at 30s and at worst 40 -41 C

P.S

How you order from Taobao?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  5. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I mean if you have the accidental damage, they should with no problem effect repairs. Please let us know how this goes.

6. Wendell Augusto Borges

Wendell Augusto Borges Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, can someone reposte the profile.zip file? I formatted my pc yesterday and i lost the file...
    I doing a search in the forum, but I am not finding

To OC Controls

7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Download Old Profiles.zip

Make sure to right click on the file you just downloaded, go to Properties, then hit Unblock from the bottom right as it may be blocked since it was downloaded from the internet, if you don't do this before you run the file or extract it, then it may not install correctly.

To prevent this automatic blocking of files in the future so you don't have to go unblocking every file you download to ensure it runs properly, follow the guide in this thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/are-you-sure-you-want-to-run-this-file-yes-or-no.825668/

Guide: How to unlock the GPU Thermal Limit Slider in Alienware Command Center

MogRules likes this.
  8. Wendell Augusto Borges

Wendell Augusto Borges Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank`s!!! Worked!!

9. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey all! It's been a looong time since I've been here, but have run into a problem recently and hoping someone might have some suggestions.

I have had my launch Area 51M and other than the annoyance of BIOS updates and throttling that required a wipe and restore and the HDCP issues with the Index that's annoying, things have been relatively smooth (knock on wood). But lately I've noticed something with work from home.

When video chatting with Teams, like... every ~20 minutes or so, but at random, my connection will drop for 5-10 seconds, Teams will lock up, and then of course all is fine. Not a HUGE deal, but being on calls all day, it gets annoying... fast. Especially since my internet seemed to work fine on other devices at those times.

I kinda just set aside the troubleshooting until this week, when I just can't get over it. Here are the facts:

Happens at random, but typically several times a day. Most noticeable with Teams, though I do notice slight... 3-4 second delays when loading web pages a few times a day, so I think it may be same issue.
    Happens when plugged in direct from PC to modem, or when connected to WiFi 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz - typically on Google Mesh Network and with super strong connection.
    I have fiber gigabit internet, great connection otherwise.

... here's where it gets interesting. I've reset all my devices. Ensured no weird cable issues. Everything looks good.
    Yesterday. I took out my Surface Book 2 and used Wifi all day... ... ... no issues at all.
    Today, I tried my 2016 Macbook Pro wired (TB3 to ethernet)... no issues.
    Tonight... was on a Teams call for 45 minutes and it happened twice on my Area 51M.

Surprised, I think it's my device (Area 51M), and I'm gonna guess Killer network card being a pain in the butt. Wouldn't be the first time.

Is there a recommended avenue to avoid Killer software altogether, or otherwise improve the performance of the NIC? Any other thoughts?

10. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you running the Killer suite along with the drivers? If so get rid of the software suite and see if that makes any difference. You might have to remove all of the Killer software completely and install from scratch but install only the drivers. Also I presume your using the latest drivers from www.killernetworking.com ?