*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Djadit

Djadit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey plz help
    What alienware m51 have cpu temp issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jorotaruGuy

jorotaruGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been having an issue with my fans and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this/ has a solution.

I think it started when I let AWCC update a couple weeks ago. For some reason the laptop has been activating the wrong fan from time to time. For instance, I had a couple times where my CPU temps would be at 90 degrees but the CPU fan wouldn't be pushing any air out. However the GPU fan would be pushing a ton of air out... but only be at 46 degrees. I would have to change the fan profile (I'll usually either be using a custom one, or balanced) to full performance and then back to get it to work normally again for a while.

Today I noticed everything started to stutter a lot and I checked the temps. Somehow my GPU hit 98 degrees!! But the GPU fan wasn't blowing any air out! But the CPU fan was blowing air like crazy... when the CPU was only at 50 degrees! Changed it to full performance and back and then it was okay again.

Has anyone encountered this before? I feel like if I don't find a solution soon, my laptop is destined to eventually kill itself... again.

3. Djadit

Reputations:
    Ar u have running stress test using aida ?
    I plan to buy this laptop

4. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I own (and am mostly happy) with my Area 51M R1; that being said, if I were buying today, I would get a 15" or 17" Lenovo Yp740.... its incredible for the money.... and looks good to boot. Bought my daughter a 15" Yp740 with 2070 (Max-q but hey), 144hz Gsync, 16gb RAM, SSD 512+HDD1 TB with 9750H for like 1499.00..... a steal for the quality with good thermals. I would strongly advise at least checking some reviews on the 17" in comparison.... and this from someone who has had around 8 laptops from Alienware since 2010.

Normimb, Djadit and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. RazielCrow190

RazielCrow190 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have been using this machine since April of this year, and have noticed a strange event happening.

I do a lot of blender and 3d work, and a few simple older games.
    If I start up the laptop and wait 5 minutes, things load and move a bit more sluggishly. Not too bad, but enough to be noticeable.
    On the other hand if I immediately start up a program that program will be zippy snappy and have no delays anywhere. If I restart the same program it will have a bit of delay here and there.

Has anyone experienced such a thing? AWCC is set to a 87 c throttle and never gets the gpu over 45. The cpu as well undervolted to 4.2. Whether I use AWCC at startup or not there is no change. My 2015 mid level MacBook can start blender or Maya faster almost. Just seems off somehow.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Turn off program compatibility assistant. That is a useless service that was only beneficial when Windows 10 first came out and it sometimes causes very high CPU usage.

7. Djadit

Reputations:
    Alienware m51 can^t upgrade cpu / gpu right??
    I read they can’t put a new processor or gpu on m51
    Just can update with same generation only
    Is that right ?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes you can only upgrade within the same generation so 9th gen CPU and 2060/2070/2080 GPUs.

Djadit and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You forgot 9900KS. So the answer has to be no:D Yoo see... Extra letters behind as a S is a no go..

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Djadit, DreDre, c69k and 1 other person like this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I thought it worked but just not to its full potential? Or am I getting mixed up one of the other CPUs?

Papusan and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.