*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Atistheso

Atistheso Newbie

Reputations:
    Damnit I have a problem with my laptop all of a sudden :(
    First my touchpad lighting stopped working yesterday and the touchpad itself was a lot less smooth. Seemed like a driver issue. I tried to reinstall the drivers -> didn't work, so I restored a windows checkpoint from a few days ago and that fixed my problem. The touchpad is working fine again. Great!
    Now this morning I try to plug my screen at work to the USB C port (as I do every day) and I get no image at all. Nothing is detected. I then try to plug my phone to the usb C port : nothing, not even charging. Again I tried to reinstall drivers and restoring checkpoints but no luck this time ...
    Any suggestion to fix this ?

2. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Papusan and Fire Tiger like this.
  3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any errors in device manager? Which drivers have you reinstalled?

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. Atistheso

Atistheso Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried to reinstall the thunderbolt controller drivers. An no there is no error in Device Manager.
    What puzzles me the most is that the USB C port isn't even charging my phone. So it might be a hardware issue but it's strange that it happened at the same time as other driver issues.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. Docsteel

Reputations:
    Not an expert, but it has the ring of either a driver conflict, or possibly a BIOS setting that might need to be reset. Have you double checked your BIOS settings just in case?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :) yes ~ +1-2% in games

7. echterion

echterion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    But the feeling, man. The feeling is the most important, isn't it? :D

Docsteel and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have another issue i would like to share with my 51M r1.

About 2 months ago i noticed my battery would show 20% wear level after only 5 months of use. I decided to completely discharge the battery and let it charge overnight. To speed up the discharge process i decided to run PRIME 95 small test on battery power alone.

What happened after is weird. When battery life was still above 50% and temperatures where cold for CPU and GPU, the computer SHUT DOWN completely and support assist dissabled the battery.
    I needed to reconnect ac power to reboot and got this message from support assist: «The battery is temporary disable, please turn off the computer and try again when the unit is back to operational temperaturre. »

The problem still persist after Dell replaced the MB and the battery. I wonder if it has to do wiht support assist sofware on my system. It is installed but i disabled all updates. It seems like a dell software protcetion issue in my opinion.
    Anyone experienced a similar issue?

9. Docsteel

Reputations:
    That's weird and a little scary o_O

Normimb and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. echterion

echterion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys,
    I tried to write the SPD data of my ram stick. I floowed this instruction: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...re-area-51m-r1-owners-lounge.826831/page-2155 but unfortunately it isn't worked. Then I found this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-2312#post-11040092. I wrote it into my ram (because I didn't have any other or better idea), and it is dead now, cannot boot with this ram. :) Ram type: F4-3000C16S-8GRS. I use 1.8.1 bios version.
    Any suggestion what should I do to success thsi operation? I have another module to make tests. :)
    If we have any possibility to revive the dead ram, it would be great (if not I will try an rma...).