*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. larkdrawde

larkdrawde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

has anyone tried to change the heatsink screws? I think the clamping force on my unit is poor At least on the cpu side, i tried putting LM and the temps on my cpu was way hotter than thermal paste but the gpu was like 15 deg cooler.

2. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Anyone know with the new 3000-series cards - is there going to be an adapter of some kind for current PSU's?

3. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok so i am replying to myself. I decided to update the bios and my laptop is up and running like nothing have ever happened
    I just don't undersand what happened. The last week i updated to windows 2004, i updated realtek audio and Nvidia driver (using DDU to unsinstall). I had some weird issue with the battery (it is already 20% worn after 5 months, and it was overheating runnig a stress test on battery power) i decided to completely discharge the battery couple of times and recharge. Plus i had this power outage yesterday.
    I feel that my problem is related to the battery but i am not sure.

Anyway thanks @Papusan for your help again.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've seen pictures of a little splitter that takes 2 8pins and makes one 12pin.

I'm really concerned about the size of these things though. AGA will not fit them without some serious modification. Might just order my desktop parts and be done with it.

5. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

if battery is swollen, better to disconnect it

you need to apply lm on both heatsink and cpu his, problem with lm it needs a polished surface finish, I used coollaboratory ultra on cpu done a test it was actually worse than gelid extreme then I took out the sink only ti find out it left a black mark, I had a grinder to get it off.

LM really not good with copper

RTX 3080 on Area51m R1 (dell card) any hopes :p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2020
    Normimb likes this.
  6. Atistheso

Atistheso Newbie

Reputations:
    Not sure when the mobile chips will come out but I bet for this generation there will be a huge difference between desktop and mobile chips. Were talking about 320W for a 3080 desktop... wow ... I'm curious to see what the max-q version will look like for these super thin "gaming" laptops :D But even for beasts like the area 51m, it's gonna be a serious challenge to get anywhere close to the desktop performance. I guess we will have to see.

Edit : of course not for the Area 51m r1, but I'm curious to see what a possible r3 would be like.

Vanya and Papusan like this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There will be a gap to desktop but it will be a significant improvement over RTX 2xxx mobile due to the 8nm process.

Vanya and Papusan like this.
  8. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think unless we see a cooling solution increase it's going to be a problem. If they go Ryzen for processors that might help some since the heatpipes are always shared.

Actually just saw the 3070 is 220w so we could see that become the mobile "3080" which would offer big gains.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    DreDre and etern4l like this.
  9. MattSkiels

MattSkiels Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone.
    I'll be back after a while to update you: yesterday I finally managed to open the laptop and work on it.
    I found a lot of dust to clean in the fans and I proceeded to do the repaste CPU and GPU (which, however, as a layman, still seemed in good condition). So I closed it up and did some testing.
    The CPU temperature doesn't seem to have changed much: maybe I gained 2-3 °C under heavy gaming conditions, but it didn't give me problems even before.
    Where I gain a lot is on the GPU side: in standby conditions the temperature remains around 35 °C (against the previous 40-42 °C), while with heavy games the temperature never reached the limit of 78 °C, but however it remains around 2 °C below. Also, the temperature now drops much faster than before.
    I sincerely hope that the notebook now holds up and remains in this excellent condition.
    Really satisfied with the work and the advice received from you. Thanks so much.

Vanya, MogRules and ratchetnclank like this.
  10. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope this will make alienware release a new AGA with the legend design, than i'm in.

Jontoad likes this.