*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah really the only "downside" to these newer panels is lack of older bios support for gsync, but I really don't consider that a major downside to begin with. I have come to the realization that I care exactly 0% for letting my GPU go above 78C anyway, especially since getting a replacement for a DGFF 2080 would be like pulling teeth probably.

Normimb likes this.
  2. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What i don't understand is that the 2080 super appears to be the the same exact card as the 2080. I think Dell could easely make the 2080 super fit our R1 in case we ever need a replacement.
    If i am wrong then they should have replacement 2080 for years to come....but this won't happened.

3. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    But with needed - intended changes so none can upgrade...
    upload_2020-8-31_2-14-6.png

4. Normimb

Reputations:
    Intentionnally make change so no one can upgrade....i believe that too.
    Sometimes i believe i did not buy an alienware laptop....i mostly fell like i rented it for 1/2 year. After that....let's degrade the product with updates.

5. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

can the R2 screw location be relocated? you plan to drill your heat sink? Sadly though this can damage Vapor Chamber.

6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    You know I would be tempted to sell my Area 51M at loss, even just to upgrade to an R2 if I trusted Dell not to do the same maneuver twice. People are buying them (for good reason if from a 2080 perspective), but who's to say many of the same shenanigans won't happen like not fully supporting new socket-compatible CPUs, or even following through on GPU upgrades? I can't see them going to the effort to engineer new cards when they are sitting on old stock, there is little incentive. The clear coat on the R2 is worth something, the marginally better CPU/GPU, and a card reader.... and a bit better keyboard. I need something more, like a 120 hz Gsync 1440p OLED to make me want to step up currently. I also need to see they have amended their ways, I bet some flim-flammery happens with the 3000-series.... like "hurrrr we can't do it on the R2".

Aroc and etern4l like this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Surely you mean R3 now?

I fully trust Dell to continue their maneuvers. It works, people are still buying this stuff, and the competition is fairly weak.

Not sure what aware consumers can do other than raising alarm over the issues and buying as few of these flawed products as possible.

Aroc, Papusan, Docsteel and 1 other person like this.
  8. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    The site lists an R2 so far.... people are presuming an R3 with 3000-series cards, but who knows for certain?

9. Normimb

Reputations:
    Your are welcome :)
    Since you have updated to the latest bios (1.12), can i ask you if it is still possible whit this bios to undervolt the CPU using ThrottleStop or XTU?

10. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Dell made so many changes that you most likly need to create a new custom heatsink. See, they tried everything in the book to push you over on the R2 refresh who have almost the same or barely better graphics performance. Everything to [​IMG] out more money from your wallet.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/13638859/spy/10894529#
    upload_2020-8-31_15-58-24.png

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Normimb, Docsteel and etern4l like this.