*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Alex4seby

Alex4seby Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The jump from R1 ro R2 it s a small difference, better to wait rtx30.

MogRules and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is this from personal experience?

3. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will I be able to write the required data using Thaiphoon burner or I need another computer?

Attached Files:

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  5. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I'd like to see some numbers - I think in general it would be modest with the Super cards and slight chip increase - maybe 10-15%?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Honestly unless you’re on a REALLY old gen (like my upgrade from a 680M to 2080 RTX) then you can make your case for wanting the R2 right now.

If you’re coming from a 980 or 1080 and thinking about going to the R2 for a 2080 Super, I think it’s worth waiting a few months for the 3080... BUT that’s me and my tolerance to wait for things...

I’d rather get the best of the best right when it’s available than midway lifecycle upgrades (which the 2080 Super is... it’s just a 2080 with a bit more juice that was intentionally held back by Nvidia just to be able to release SOMETHING between the 2080 and the 3080, which I despise).

My opinion!

Papusan, c69k and RMLJD like this.
  7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I think you can always make a case for getting what does what you want at the price you want :) But agreed, in general at the beginning of a cycle is best. I am curious how they plan to sell "upgrades" since they basically screwed R1 owners. I might even consider selling my R1 if I didn't think I would take a bath on it... and getting an R2 once the 3-series cards are out. Without upgrade options its a tough sell.

RMLJD and Virale like this.
  8. CitizenKano

CitizenKano Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’m still enjoying the R1 very much and have no aspirations to update to the R2 which does seem like a refresh but not a major update.- I could be wrong here though. I also came from an m17xr4 with 680m and the upgrade is huge.

I did have some problems to begin with when I bought it in March this year namely:
    • Stuck pixel- screen replaced as result
    • Very loud coil whine. - heat sync replaced. Did not fix the issue (not surprisingly) so motherboard and cpu replaced. Coil whine reduced but still some there.
    • AWCC software restriction- temp slider stuck at 75c - a bit annoying but I guess they did this to stop burned out units. I’m aware of the workaround but not having much an issue with it at 75c for now.
    • Bios very restricted- not sure if R2 is better? I’d like to see more options in this regard.
    • Tobii is a bit of a resource hog and sometimes just stops working. Still not sure it’s worth the extra money.
    A lot of the issues were resolved from dell When I reported them but I still had to go through all the loops i.e evidence / photos/ recordings, to get people booked to come round to my house and replace parts- which was a pain. And not something I expected from a very expensive laptop.

Maybe I’ll see what the R3 has to offer. Hopefully something a bit better QA wise.

9. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I frankly think it will just be called R3, lol with 30X0 cards.

Also, fresh juicy leak info from _rogame:

Beast 3090 with 24 GB of VRAM lol https://twitter.com/_rogame/status/1294312499156787202?s=12

RMLJD likes this.
  10. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the necessary equipment for SPD recording... You don't have a file with an XMP profile?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Fire Tiger likes this.