*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    9700 (but I'm going to replace it with 9900K) + 2080
    I ordered from his taobao store - price: CNY 1600 (~ $ 228). Delivery to my country will take a couple of weeks...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    phusy likes this.
  2. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As an FYI for anyone who may not know, you should really be undervolting the core and the cache on these chips. I never had really messed with the cache before, I just assumed it didn't really matter. Well, let me tell you, it does. I was able to go from 4.3Ghz or so under load (cinebench r20) sustained and touching 100c to 4.7Ghz in the same scenario and staying in the mid to upper 90's. I had a .150v undervolt on just the core, even .160 was stable for my test runs but it didn't do too much to help the heat situation, I was hitting pretty much the same temps. Undervolting the core and the cache by -.130 however made all the difference.

jnyvio and c69k like this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Looking forward to the results.

jc_denton likes this.
  4. phusy

phusy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you don't mind, could you share the taobao link please? Thanks a lot!

5. Zer0K

Zer0K Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yep (last option), but delivery only on mainland China

phusy likes this.
  6. jnyvio

jnyvio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Oh cool.... Please post a few comparison photos during the installation. :)

I'm also upgrading from a 9700K (PO stepping).. Although, a great CPU.. As it ran 5.2ghz all day long with low voltage / core temps.. It lacks the Multi-Threading HP I'm looking for as I'm not just gaming.

So I searched around and got lucky.. I found a 9900K "SRELS" (PO stepping).. The seller said it was a good bin having low voltage at higher clock speeds and good thermals.. It will be arriving today.

I'm also going from a RTX-2070 to a RTX-2080 (already purchased).

In case anyone is wondering about the differences between a 9900K having PO vs RO stepping.. After researching this for the past week.. These are my conclusions.

The 9900K manufactured in 2018 to early 2019 are PO stepping.. They can be identified with the wording of "SRELS" printed on the box & cpu.

Now fast forward in time... Due to the security risk of Meltdown & Spectre.. Intel released a 2nd revision of the 9900K which was manufactured from 2019 to today.

This 2nd revision of the 9900K is labeled RO stepping and can be identified by the wording of "SRG19" printed on the box & cpu.

It is rumored the 9900K PO versions overclock better and run "slightly" cooler over their RO counterparts (despite the 9900K RO running at a lower voltage).

It has been said that the 9900K RO takes a performance hit from the security patches being added in at the silicone chip level.

You can run CPUID to see which version you have.. This PO to RO manufacturing switch also pertains to the 9700K as well.

*Your mileage may also vary depending on certain factors such as the Silicone Lottery.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    c69k, Papusan, RMLJD and 3 others like this.
  7. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Yes, the S-Spec is the easiest way to identify what revision 9900K is.

SRELS are P0
    SRG19 are R0
    [​IMG]
    http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SR/SRELS.html

8. TriBeard

Reputations:
    Someone in one of the other threads mentioned swapping the GPU screws for some non-spring loaded ones. I did this for both the GPU and CPU, just to test, and the CPU improvements are marginal but the GPU improvements are significant. I used m2x6 screws to replace them (I take no responsibility if you do and crack your GPU die or something, be sure to tighten slowly and not one screw all the way and then the next) and I went from 1700Mhz or so (between about 1650 and 1770) in games and hitting 84c, to about 82c or so and maintaining about 1960Mhz. Very happy with that improvement.

9. jnyvio

jnyvio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi... Are you looking for the 2nd revision of the Alienware 51M R1's fan/heatsink assembly.. If so, this seller has them in stock.. If not, i'm sorry! I misread your post.

This one in the link below is for an Alienware Area 51m "R2" ...but you can use this link to contact the seller about purchasing a modified "R2" version that will supposedly fit the "R1". :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254651043682

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    phusy likes this.
  10. TriBeard

Reputations:
    I don't think this is the version for the 51m r1. This is (I think) just the version from the 51m r2, which won't work without modification in the r1