*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jf_race

jf_race Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    2070's Vbios has a ridiculous 115W and there is only one.

Docsteel likes this.
  2. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes. a few times, it didn't make a change to my 2 issues, but my GPU slider is unlocked though. i think a clean windows install might be the only option to fix it but i don't feel like doing that to fix those 2 issues at this time. it doesn't bother me that much.

Sabs47 likes this.
  3. echterion

echterion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,
    I have a small issue with Area51m R1. I bought it with i7 9700 but I replaced it with an i7 8700k. I couldn't adjust the multiplier in AWCC. After a clean win reinstall, the issue is the same. Any idea? From Dell side the technician couldn't help me. In Throttlestop, I can adjust these things with the voltage but in AWCC the Advanced View tab is missing. Any idea what can I do?

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    did you try resetting BIOS to defaults?

5. echterion

Reputations:
    Yes, of course. I tried all bios setting regardnig to CPU overclock and nothing changed.

6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Sure its not higher? Mine just hit 119.... I could swear it was like 120...

Edit: hit 121, pretty sure 125 is the limit... latest BIOS and VBIOS...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    8700K is not officially supported in Area-51M. In same way as the 9900KS, it works in the laptop but with some flaws as you have seen. If I remember correct... Dell only supported the locked down 8700 from 8th gen chips to make it more affordable as option.

Edit. You could of course try flash back to older bios versions and try older AWCC versions. But I doubt it will work.
    :rolleyes: Forgot your friend with similar problem?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-2146#post-11013969

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    jc_denton, Normimb, DreDre and 3 others like this.
  8. echterion

Reputations:
    I didn't know this, only mentioned this by Dell and this is the info what I got from the Dell technician: "There is a possibility, that Command centre is reading information from Service Tag which is in original configuration with non overclockable CPU, that might be possible." And later I got this, after he contacted his technical advisor: "I have received response - statement is, that AW Command centre software functionality can be guaranteed only if original CPU for configuration is installed."
    I hope that somebody found a solution for this issue, this is why I ask here now. If not this is not a tragedy because now I don't play games what they need the full power of my CPU (WoW, Division 2, Control).

And no, that machine is not mine, I have an RTX2070 gpu in my machine. :)

Mod: I don't think that I try to refresh my bios, now I am using 1.8.1, this is OK for me except the OC settings in AWCC. If I want OC and there is no solution for this, I will use TS.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  9. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Spartan's guide on the thermal limit slider is spot on. Got my slider fixed. Another question for the hive mind - Thinking about rolling the 330W and a 240W power supply adapter with my A51M. 9700/2080. Any cons to sending 550W into the system?

alaskajoel likes this.
  10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nope, I've been running my system like that for about 3 months now. In fact, it's better because the 180W adapter heats up quickly while the 240W can handle the power with ease and without overheating.

jc_denton, DreDre and Sabs47 like this.