*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jnyvio

jnyvio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guys, I have a technical question.... Perhaps someone here will know the answer.... The original OEM 9900K cpu inside the Area 51M is PO stepping.. 1st generation.. Its also the one that comes in the larger soccer type retail box.. Which most of them are gone now... Intel then released a revised chip known as the 9900KS then the 9900KF.. Both chips have RO stepping... While doing this, they also revised the current 9900K retail chip (Into a new smaller box) and updated it as well to RO Stepping.. Now, RO Stepping has been known to crash windows 10 unless the motherboards BIOS is updated to support RO stepping.. My question..... Does the OEM Area 51M dell motherboard BIOS support both, 9900K PO stepping and the newer 9900K RO stepping 2nd Revision or just the older 1st gen 9900K with PO stepping?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  2. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its not hard. Unplug molex. Unscrew old PSU. Add new one.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah PSU transplant is annoying in a tower since there's a lot more to unplug and plug back in and you have to rout the cables etc.; in the AGA it's like 3 things that you have to unplug/replug and you're done.

My only concern is, do I want to pay potentially $150+ for a new format PSU on top of $1300+ for the new GPU...

Hopefully the rumors prove untrue 'cause nvidia would really be shooting themselves in the foot here, doubt many will be willing to gut and redo their entire systems just to run their new GPUs when RDNA2 is projected to be nearly as strong (outside of RTX of course).

Too bad AMD isn't really an option for us since we still have to run nvidia drivers for the built in GPU in our A51m.

RMLJD likes this.
  4. twin snakes

twin snakes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is in fact quite limit what PSU type and model that you can replace in the AGA, if you just want something plug-n-play, most popular one are the first gen of Corsair CXC500M/450M
    You will have unlimited choices if you are willingly to cut the rear grille of the AGA
    My AGA is running with a RM550x so I have to butcher the rear AGA, not the most beautiful dremel job, but my 2080Ti will have what it deserves
    FC8F98F3-5B85-493D-84C7-C1968B28E2F7.jpeg

jc_denton and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    I'm quite sure newer bios versions have the needed support. I know 9900KS works in Area-51m but with the well known added power cap.

jc_denton likes this.
  6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    does not support KS or KF. Dell said they will not add support on the r1 for theee CPU’s.

jc_denton likes this.
  7. jnyvio

Reputations:
    Hi.... I'm NOT looking for KS, KF, support.. The i9-9900K's sold today are "RO" stepping 2nd revision.. This takes a BIOS update to support it. The i9-9900K that comes from the factory is "PO" stepping and no longer available.. What worries me about trying a newer i9-9900K is that its "RO" Stepping just like the un-supported KS, KF.. I hope this makes better sense.

Hi, what worries me is that the newer i9-9900K chip is also now using "RO" Stepping just like the KS, KF.. That is all they sell.. I am wondering if its the "RO" Stepping is whats making them un-supported?? Also, using CPUZ i verified my i7-9700K as a "PO" so that does me no good..

*Perhaps someone here can check their cpu with CPUZ to see if it says "RO" or "PO".. If someone has an "RO" i'm good to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2020
  8. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Dell have inventory of chips. I expect they have mostly R0 now in the shelves. Chips with R0 stepping was pushed out spring last year. Of course newer bios have it supported.

jc_denton likes this.
  9. ckezema

ckezema Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently did a repad and repaste. The paste I used was 13.6 Wk and i did a mish mosh of pads, but nothing under 6Wk. I used the guides on the forum here for repadding and it seems to be working out pretty good. My temps on the cpu under regular gaming are in the 60's sometimes peaking into the 70's and well the gpu does what ever the F the gpu wants to do (sits at whatever the max temp is in awcc) Going to buy even better pads and paste see if i can tame the temps even father.
    All in all satisfied :)

Lopt likes this.
  10. jnyvio

Reputations:
    Unfortunately there is no way in knowing if the BIOS supports the newer "RO" revision of the i9-9900K.. Well, I guess there is one way.. And that's to Install it and if Windows 10 crashes then you know the motherboard needs a specific "RO" Stepping BIOS update.. And with Dell's track record I'm not willing to take that gamble. But if someone can check with CPUZ to see if they have a "RO" i9-9900K then I'm good to go.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020