*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. twin snakes

twin snakes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have an 2080ti in AGA too but cannot confirm it since my 2080ti never went over 45 celcius degrees underload

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. ckezema

ckezema Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I switched it up and am going to run like this for a while.
    So far so good. Im liking the results. Only difference is im on 1.10. no oc to heavy oc, but the temps were really good on performance fan. ;)

upload_2020-7-17_21-14-31.png

3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Excellent news! Is buying a second hand GPU risky, I've never bought proper PC parts, always been a laptop user.

4. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Buying secondhand anything is risky. That said unless you are desperate you might want to wait a couple of months and see what happens with Ampere (probably will know more or actually have a soft launch in September) because a 3070ti could be close to a 2080ti at less than half the price. I'm just using my AGA as an expensive USB hub until Ampere comes out (hopefully supported, nVidia sounds like they may be getting a bit crazy with their format this time...)

RMLJD and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Where on earth can one even get a 2070 or 2080 to upgrade too now?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I bought a used 1070 for a friend (long story), but appears to have worked flawlessly. Got it from E bay, I think they key is getting it from someone you can return to and who has a record of good sales.

I doubt the AGA is going work with at least the higher end Ampere based cards since it sounds like the power connector is changed. I don't know wtf they are thinking here.... lower end ones probably will use the old connector. The other tidbit I have heard is Nvidia is projected to start raising prices on 2000-series cards to mess with the mining market....

Fire Tiger and Sabs47 like this.
  7. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I found one on eBay. There are a couple of 2080s on there and I'm listing my 2070 on there as well (below market price to sell it).
    The one I bought came with a heat sink as well so that worked out in my favor
    The heat sinks are readily available.

8. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I see you have i7-9700, it's "Possible" that is making a difference in heat with the shared heatsink. I believe I have read that chip runs a bit cooler then i9-9900.

And of course each machine is in a lot of ways an individual case between paste, age of paste and type, placement and thickness of pads.

It seems to me in a closed system like these notebooks airflow is the real problem and even 1-3 degrees can make the difference between throttle and no throttle when your airflow is already maxed out.

Just theory of course, but I am glad it's working for you.

9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I try to buy parts with warranty. My Titan Xp had issues within days due to the guy putting liquid metal on the resisters and I got it RMA'd by nVidia. My new Titan Xp (refurb) has been golden.

c69k, Fire Tiger and Papusan like this.
  10. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Docsteel, etern4l and Fire Tiger like this.