*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well time for me to downgrade. I'm sittong on 1.7.3

2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    See:

Make sure to right click on every file you download, go to Properties, then hit Unblock from the bottom right as it may be blocked since it was downloaded from the internet, if you don't do this before you run the file, then it may not install correctly or lead to a bricked laptop.

To prevent this automatic blocking of files in the future so you don't have to go unblocking every file you download to ensure it runs properly, follow the guide in this thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/are-you-sure-you-want-to-run-this-file-yes-or-no.825668/

================================================================
    Force downgrade Alienware Area-51m Bios (or any Alienware) to locked lower versions

Note: The USB Flash Disk must be formatted as FAT not FAT32

Area-51m BIOS / VBIOS Collection (mirrors)

Here is what I recommend:

a) Uninstall Alienware Update AKA Dell Update and Dell SupportAssist otherwise they will keep nagging you to update your BIOS.

b) Flash the BIOS using the Recovery USB which you created using the guide I showed you earlier.

c) Immediately head into BIOS and make sure you disable Firmware Capsule Updates in the Security tab otherwise Windows will immediately upgrade your BIOS!

d) Once you're back in Windows, reflash the same 1.5.0 BIOS again but in Windows, I had to do that last time as I was getting weird behavior (I can't remember what exactly but once you have flashed 1.5.0 in recovery mode, you will be able to flash 1.5.0 again through Windows since you're not technically downgrading anymore you are just reinstalling the same BIOS) so do that to ensure the BIOS is 100% flashed correctly.

e) The moment the BIOS is flashed, go back into BIOS and load setup defaults then save and exit (from the last tab in the BIOS)

f) Now enter BIOS again, set your battery from Adaptive to Custom and tell it to start charge at 50% and stop charge at 90%. This will ensure the battery is never over charged and will thus prolong its life.

g) In the 2nd tab in the BIOS, I recommend turning OFF Power Share as that will drain your battery if your laptop had a USB device that needs power overnight (such as an external HDD or Game Pad)

h) While you're in the BIOS, ensure that Firmware Capsule updates are OFF

Lopt, RMLJD, Sabs47 and 1 other person like this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    If you are referring to the eGPU temps, then the eGPU should not be limited by this. Of course someone needs to test to be 100% sure.

Rei Fukai, etern4l and Fire Tiger like this.
  4. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cheers, hopefully they'd see no sense in limiting an eGPU, but who knows.

etern4l likes this.
  5. ckezema

ckezema Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im going to say yes and no..

Let me explain.
    I have been on the 1.10 bios since my machine came back from repair. I use the 200w vbios. I was mortified b/c I was on 1.5.0 before repair. I think my machine was shipped when I bought it with 1.5.2 (or is it 1.5.3 doesn't matter) and ive used every bios all the way up to 1.10 as they came out.
    That being said.. I experienced the hard throttle on all bios s except the 1.10 bios and 1.5.0.. with no modifications besides paste and pads.
    1.10 runs up to 74c and just sits there.. Clocks do bounce around a bit but benchmarks in time spy I am in the very high 9's low 10's and in firestrike im in the 21-22000 range. Borderlands 3 runs around 100- 120fps range (game I mainly play) and in metro depending on the area fps with raytracing bounce between 70 and 100 fps ultra settings (shading rate 1.0x)

I have been having a hard time justifying going back to 1.5.0 due to the fact I feel my machine is running where I expect it to with no hard throttling. Comparing it to others here on the forum, my machine on the 1.10 bios is in the ballpark.

Just my experience with this bios. Hope that helps

These are scores with no overclock to heavy overclock.

upload_2020-7-17_14-15-20.png

Lopt and Sabs47 like this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    It doesn't get hit until 79C. Try and see if you can run over 79-80C. I can run up to 87C if I wanted without affecting the clocks almost at all. On 1.8.1 I would get the dreaded 300Mhz clock speed after 79C+ temps.

Spartan@HIDevolution and Papusan like this.
  7. ckezema

ckezema Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea.. any other bios I used prior to 1.10 would climb past that 79c and throttle me, sometimes to the point where even restarting the game I would be playing wouldn't help. 1.10 throttles at 74/75, but no hard throttle and mild performance hits.
    I have done the HWinfo mod along with unlocking the temp slider in awcc to run the temps up to 87 and my machine will throttle at ~80c on 1.10.
    1.8.1 was the worst I found for throttling if I remember correctly.
    Point being I guess to the op is 1.10 causing throttling... Yes and no.. It holds the temps at 74/75c and doesn't allow the hard throttle. (at least on my machine it doesn't or hasn't)

I still have been tossing the idea of going back to 1.5.0 but is the risk worth the reward? 1.10 is performing very adequately for my needs.

8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    https://www.dennisdeal.com/collecti...re-m18x-r2-laptop?_pos=1&_sid=72ed5c8fd&_ss=r

Legit shop, I bought 330W one from them. Delivery took 10 days 2 years ago. Comes without the kettle cable.

Cost: 48 EUR, free shipping. Picture of the sticker for you. These are Deltas=good, based on info 2 years ago when I did some research. @ratchetnclank @jnyvio

2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Because you are certainly on bios 1.5.0 or less.
    All the bios after that are the same and it's how they behave:
    1-75C is the temperature limit set by dell by default. You will not experience hard thermal throttle when temps reach 75C BUT.....but it will reduced it's clock speed by approx 2,3,4, 500 Mhz and frames 10-15-20%. You can still play a game but performance is slightly crippled by this protection.
    2- 79C is the temperature limit set by dell for hard throttle when you overclock the temps via AWCC to anything between 79C to 87C. That means the laptop will thermal throttle badbly when temps go above 78C. Frames will drop 80-90% wich makes the games unplayable. So to avoid this most people will set a overclock temperature profils in AWCC to 78C. Whait it does is there will be no more hard throttle but it will behave exactly the same as i explain before at 75C wich will be a small drop in performance (untill temps go down) but still playable.

Bios 1.5.0 will not hard throttle, NEVER, unless temps reach 87C. The problem with this bios is that it will not support G-sync for newest system (2020).

So for people with newer system (2020) that have G-sync panel, you can use any bios stock for OK performance with RTX 2080. For better performance you create a profil at 78C. And for max performance you have to use bios 1.5.0 and loose G-sync.

And V-bios 180Watts vs 200Watts= same performance except 200wats runs hotter.

That is my conclusion after doing a lot of testing and benchmark. I have find tha bios 1.7.3 combined with a 78C AWCC profil + 180watss vbios and finally with a good GPU repaste (Kryonaut or Phobya nanogrease are the same for me) gave me the best results but not as good as the ones running first production unit. Since then Dell has been working hard to cripled our system to avoid repair under warranty.

RMLJD, Lopt, raz8020 and 4 others like this.
  10. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can confirm, an EVGA 2080ti in the AGA does not throttle. It's fully unlocked in precision just like it is in a desktop.

Fire Tiger and Papusan like this.