*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So they can take the time to do that....but cant fix the thermal issues....

Priorities seem askew

jc_denton, Papusan and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is likely a really dumb question, but if you use an AGA is the GPU still limited to 75c on the newer BIOS revisions?

jc_denton likes this.
  3. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thats actually an excellent question..

jc_denton and Fire Tiger like this.
  4. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For the fellow traveler who is looking for answers regarding an alienware GPU upgrade:
    - The heatsink for the 2070/2080 is the same. The 2060 heatsink needs to be replaced.
    - Fun fact, if you dont put the whole unit together and especially the plate at the bottom the unit wont boot up. I did not know that Alienware laptops are 'self grounding'.
    - The upgrade is infact quite easy to do but it requires time and patience. Repaste the CPU and GPU while you have the laptop torn apart and replace the pads too.
    - Get the 330 Watt power supply before hand if you plan to add the 2080 to your laptop. Dont be an idiot like me and wait for it come in a few days later. The laptop will keep telling you that it needs more power and its adjusting performance according to the power its getting.

I googled quite a bit before i undertook the project but so much information was going back and forth it was hard to pin point what was real. Now the above mentioned points may seem simple but I really didnt get them until i torn the laptop apart. Hopefully this helps other people as the gpu kits start popping up all over the place.

5. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Network problems can be difficult to track down. You'll have to put on a Sherlock Holmes Detective Hat and be a bit scientific in your methods to track it down.

Can you try the following (one at a time so you don't have too many things changing at a time:

1) Double check your settings on all hardware. Sometimes mis-configurations like full-duplex vs half-duplex, MRU sizes, etc., can have a sporadic effect on network devices. [EDIT: added after Spartan post] Excess networking bloatware (outside of drivers) can sometimes cause issues too

2) Try a new upstream port. Does the Area 51m plug directly into a switch or router? If so, are there other free ports available? Try switching to a new port and use that for a while to see if there's any change. If you plug into a jack and that goes into your upstream router/switch, do you have a long enough cable to test plugging directly into the upstream device? I've been bitten by the "bad port" before and it can be difficult to detect, and frustrating when you do.

3) Do you have another cable to test? Sometimes a cable can go bad causing intermittent problems. Another (recommended - brand new) cable may help eliminate a problem.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Try to uninstall the Killer Control Center and remove the Killer Services or disable them at least and see if it fixes it. Be sure to read this thread:
    Guide: Killer Software / Extension Un-installation and Blocking

raz8020, Papusan and jclausius like this.
  7. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

My youngest Daughter got the Gamer Bug on that game when it came out I think she was about 10 when Unreal came out and it had an arena like mode where you could snipe at the AI that was my favorite, I was pretty solid at the game myself, but SHE took it to a whole nother level :)

Holly Molly your going ALL IN ! LOL - Please keep a fire extinguisher handy :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2020
    Papusan and RMLJD like this.
  8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    If you're gonna go....go all the way in...or don't go at all.... [​IMG]

Fire Tiger, Darkhan and RMLJD like this.
  9. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question: Is Dell's new bios 1.10 still causing throttle on the 2080?

10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Answer: Yes, just like every BIOS post 1.5.0