*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ApolloX75

ApolloX75 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well looks like I solved it, that AWCC program is absolute garbage, but it was the key to making the card work. I won't pretend to understand why but it did.

Normimb and Papusan like this.
  2. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I disagree, laptops are the future. There is always going to be a need for mobile devices, laptops, that can do the work a company requires. Schools have been integrating laptops for all the teachers and there students as well. All colleges require the use of a PC, namely laptops as many classes require it in class. If there is ever a time when society will no longer need laptops its certainly not going to be any time soon.
    I think the smartphone is a overblown industry. Eventullly we will see large scale cut backs just for the simple fact of the amount of waste it creates.

Hopefully the industry will eventually shift green where laptops will be the market leader in personal computing with interchangeable parts allowing a single device to be used over the course of more years then they are now. Phones will never have that, there will never be phones with interchangeable parts, not for a long long time. The industry will eventually turn green as civilization will require it or humanity will suffer. The path were on now with 2 billion people changing out phones each year is not going to last.

Quantum computing will also play a major role in society but there will always be a need for mobile personal computing. But saying the PC is dieing is like saying were running out of oil. Its not going to happen in our life time or 10 generations down the line. By then, new technology will have been invented and the point that the PC is dieing is I think being overly dramatic. Just my opinion.

Some one else might want to chime in on this, I am by no means an expert on future development of humanity but I have spent a few hours here and there reading about the subject. Sites like futuretimeline.net are fun to read though. You have to take my bias towards the laptop industry with a grain of salt as well, as Im a hardcore enthusiast. Im not ashamed to admit I have about 10 laptops laying around the house.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Arkengelus, MogRules and Lopt like this.
  3. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, if anything it's desktops that are on their way out. Intel are being crushed in the desktop market and their finances have only continued to improve. Laptops are everywhere, and if a stationary computer is required, tiny NUCs with mobile CPUs and quick SSDs are being used instead. I work in government, and the entire building has transitioned away from desktops to tiny NUCs supplied by Dell, and laptops which were already ubiquitous. The DIY desktop market is insignificant in the grand scheme, and nobody else cares about desktops. Who outside of enthusiasts wants a giant tower weighing >10kgs that can't move?

MogRules and G46VW like this.
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow, badly seated RAM is quite rare, but I guess Dell managed that too lol Not to worry. Unless you are a very light user, you should notice some improvement from fast 32GB upgrade anyway due to more memory being available for OS-level caching (make sure write caching is enabled on your drives in Dev manager), and the memory being faster than the budget sticks supplied by Dell at extortionate price.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  5. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey mate, just curious: has gsync continued to work properly for you with 1.5.0? Would love to roll back if so and losing gsync has been the main thing stopping me.

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    You probably didn't do the GPU Thermal Tweak for the Alienware Command Center so it was still throttling at 75C despite you having BIOS 1.5.0

See:
    Guide: How to unlock the GPU Thermal Limit Slider in Alienware Command Center

etern4l likes this.
  7. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    To answer my own question, the answer is no I guess. Downgraded to 1.5.0 with 451.48 drivers (fresh DDU install after the bios flash) and activating gsync (via the pendulum test or a game) caused the internal display to flicker black as usual.

:( back to the current bios.

8. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is gsync really worth it when you have a high refresh rate screen?

9. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm very sensetive to tears and stutters so yes, I notice the difference with gsync on. Worth noting as well that many modern games will not be running at 100fps+ on a 2080 at the resolution I play at (3.5k)

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    We talk laptop thermals with an expert from Dell
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...r2-owners-lounge.832848/page-54#post-11031088

raz8020 likes this.