*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Still got an M17x R4 for now. Got the Area51m R2 arriving in 3-4 weeks which is what i'm buying the paste for.

TF8 as TFX doesn't appear to be in stock either.

2. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you all for the advice! I just went shopping:
    Arctic Silver ArctiClean 60ml
    Phobya NanoGrease Extreme 3.5g
    Gelid Solution GP Extreme 12W / MK
    x2 80x40x1.0mm
    x2 80x40x1.5mm
    x2 80x40x2.0mm
    x2 80x40x3.0mm
    What do you think? :)

3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Let me know how you get on with the pads, I've been toying with the idea but too afraid to go for it due to people claiming the pad sizing car vary from model to model.

jc_denton and Korben_Dallas like this.
  4. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So a fast update on my Frankenstein thermal pad SSD stacking... the main pad is a grizzly. 8.w 2mm pad stacked on a "micro connectors" 4 .0 w ssd pad kit. They only had one of each in Stock. The quality of the grizzly pad was high and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

the new WD black is running 5 degrees cooler then the stock SSD on stress tests. (also a wd...a 730 i belive) rember the difference is more significant as the WDB is much faster....so performance =heat...

Compelling evidence u can stack effectively.
    Or that MSI suxs at selecting thermal pads.

Also....since its my sons pc..he thinks I'm uberdad at the moment.

I really like the WD Black drive. The software changes skins when you switch to the gaming drive. Samsungs has more features though.

Proofs in the pudding.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2020
    jc_denton, Papusan and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is this worth trying? Link , forum discussion
    * Thermal Conductivity(W/ mk) : 14.3
    * Thermal Impedance : <0.0028
    * Specific Gravity : 2.6
    * Useable Temperature Range : -250 / +300
    * Electrically Conductive : No

[​IMG]

Darkhan and Papusan like this.
  6. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not familiar with the brand but 14 is impressiv .

7. ckezema

ckezema Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im actually running this right now.. Seems to be not too bad.. 9700k and 2080, My idle temps are really good. 30's and 40's no fans. under load about average.
    Cheaper than most paste, (did the full coverage technique) may try a repaste with the pea and X just to see if temps differ.
    All in all decent paste.

Attached Files:

Darkhan, Fire Tiger and G46VW like this.
  8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Alienware Area-51m Drivers 04-Jul-2020

- Some drivers were downgraded as I found no difference in the newer drivers so reverted back to the official ones for the Area-51m
    - Latest IRST is now included which gives you the option to DE-SELECT the Intel Optane module which is NOT supported on this laptop rather than having it installed anyway as previous versions of IRST did
    - Delete the old Driver folder you had for the Area-51m and use these. They are the best for performance/compatibility

Guide: How to unlock the GPU Thermal Limit Slider in Alienware Command Center

After you download the ZIP file and before you unzip it, make sure it is not blocked by right clicking on it, go to Properties, then see at the bottom if it says "this file came from another computer and might be blocked..." click the UNBLOCK button then hit APPLY followed by OK! To prevent Windows from blocking downloaded files automatically, make sure you read this guide:

"Are you sure you want to run this file?" [Yes or No]

The drivers are organized in numbered folders with the correct installation order.

When Install the LAN Driver, Choose CUSTOM, then uncheck the box which says Killer Software. You can also expand the Drivers and uncheck Ethernet Drivers, E3100. You only need the E3000 Drivers. Keep the DELL Checkbox.

The WLAN Driver must be installed from Device Manager by right clicking on the WLAN Card, choose Update Driver, then browse to the folder where the drivers are located.

Please restart after every driver install even if you were not prompted because some drivers will fail to install if there are any other pending operations (ie. had the Intel HID Event Filter Driver fail to install once because I did not reboot, the driver package was installed but the actual device in Device Manager was not updated)

PDUB72, ssj92, IXVIXXII and 7 others like this.
  9. Melvin Rousseau

Melvin Rousseau Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys
    Wanted to know your thoughts about this
    Why would people want to sell their area 51 m r1 for the R2 while you only get things that are not necessary at all.
    Let me explain i9 10900k ? 2 more cores ? Needed for what ? With my i9900k delided I've rarely seen the cpu over 30-40 percent of load in gaming and that set to 4.4 ghz.
    While you could get some more performance for rendering you are very likely to underclock and undervolt the cpu as it gets warm like a frying pan !
    I have a desktop with a i9_10900k with custom watercolooling and with cinebenchr20 it throttles right away 100 degrees !!!!!
    So I had to delid the 10900k and change the ihs for a copper one + LM and now it is 80 degrees with r20 and WATERCOOLING with a load over 220 W
    Regarding the graphic card the 2080 s provides only 7 percent more fps in game wich isn't worth changing now .
    And the last thing the 300 Hz pannel ? That's even more useless because even then with my desktop with a 2080 ti overclocked and watercooled I can barely reach the native 240 hz of my Alienware monitor .
    So that is my thought
    What is yours ?
    I think we should all wait for the Nvidia 3000 before making that big of a change

Attached Files:

RMLJD, c69k and etern4l like this.
  10. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Because some people just like to have the latest. Does it make sense from a financial point of view? Of course not

But it doesn't harm anyone so if they want to do it then why not?

Also to your last point the 300hz panel isn't exactly useless the people who want 300 fps would have the game settings on low anyway to achieve that framerate. For example i know the overwatch league players always play on low graphics to maximize fps. Higher fps = less input lag.