*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im really frustrated. I have a sick feeling they will screw it up. Guys...keep your warrenty renewed!!!

2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe the motherboard is causing the sound card to blow? It could be a good thing they want to replace both. Definitely, keep a watchful eye on the tech during the strip down and rebuild.

3. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can I ask your usage case scenario regarding the soundcard? What percentage do you use the laptops internal speakers compared to headphones. How loud or what setting do you put the sound at? More importantly how are you using your unit? Mostly for gaming or workstation purposes? I use my headphones prob 90% of the time Im on my Area-51m.

Sorry for all the questions, when ever issues like this pop up with machines I own I like to do some preventative measures if at all possible. Also, lastly, have you taken your laptop apart once or on multiple times before each failure of the sound card?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The interesting part is my soundcard area gets warm as well when I use it. Plug my headset in and it cools right off again....don't know why the soundcard would be getting that warm at all to begin with.

Docsteel likes this.
  5. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    Man what a complete bummer, hope you get covered by insurance or something. And as to whom ever certifies these so called "technicians", they should really screen them for basic computer knowledge. Feel like I've read many stories about the sheer incompetence of these techs.

If they mess anything up, they should be held accountable. Did you grab any pics of the card after it popped?

Vasudev, jclausius, etern4l and 2 others like this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    [
    Well, the amp has to kick in when driving the speakers I guess. Does A51M come with a subwoofer, like its direct competitor Clevo X170/XMG Ultra?

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Many brands models come with a sub. But not for A51M. Even the thinner/slimmer models from other brands have installed a subwoofer. Search Subwoofer in the A51M thread with my nickname :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  8. RMLJD

Reputations:
    I was playing a youtube vid thorugh external speakers while setting a game up via discord. Did not have volume max. 80% on external powered speaker . Rest is headphone. 50/50 between gaming and productivity

Have not opened it it months.

G46VW and Papusan like this.
  9. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am sorry for you. Same kind of things happened to me before with previous system. Since then, when the tech comes to my house, i stand next to him and help him, to avoid this kind of frustration. Good luck on your next repair, and if for any reason you are not completely satisfied with the next repair, ask Dell for a Brand new system exchange.

Vasudev, etern4l, kfxsti and 2 others like this.
  10. RMLJD

Reputations:
    Mine is painfully hot to touch. That just started. Im going to open it and see what it looks like. No burning smell....