*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I can honestly say the A51M R1 with 9700K+2070 runs very cool, it seems like even a 9900K+2070, or 9700K+2080 runs fine, its just the highest combo of 9900K+2080 is where the problems (combined with BIOS) where the problems all lie. Very curious how the R2 shapes up, but I would be very surprised if throttling and BIOS tweaks don't rear their ugly head at some point.

2. twin snakes

twin snakes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did anyone coupled an A51m with an AGA yet? 51m has some strange behavior comparing to older model like my 17R4 when using with an external GPU in AGA
    The dGPU (RTX2070) is still enabled when plug AGA in, render both dGPU and eGPU available for use, dGPU drives internal monitor and eGPU drives the external one via its own displayPort cable
    I can even set the dGPU for Physx delicately or select it for rendering games
    This is unseen with AGA as with older model, dGPU was always disabled
    I though this was a normal behavior with G-Sync A51m model, but mine is a Non-Gsync one, so it doesn't make any sense to me
    For now I have to disable the dGPU via Device Manager, I want to contribute all heat dissipation of the heatsink to the CPU only
    Any idea?
    Annotation 2020-06-29 102132.png Annotation 2020-06-29 102312.png Annotation 2020-06-29 102338.png Annotation 2020-06-29 102349.png

3. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is normal, and it was also the case for the 15R4 and the 17R5. The internal dGPU is hard wired to the internal display, and the AGA is a separate 4x PCIe link.

I'm not sure what specifically you are asking, but If you disable the internal display, the built in dGPU will go into an idle state. Keeping a monitoring tool open like MSI afterburner will prevent it from staying in the idle state because it gets pinged for information, waking it up.

etern4l, jc_denton, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  4. pan0phobik

pan0phobik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Soo my throttling has returned after I updated my Command Center software. The profile that I created per Spartan's directions is still in place but I am randomly getting cut down to 300 mhz GPU clock for minutes at a time before it returns to normal. Any ideas?

5. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Patience is a real virtue, unlike so many other things these days :)

DreDre, Vasudev and Spartan like this.
  6. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    This is normal. Just disable dGPU in device manager and it will no longer run at 3D clocks. You can also go to settings and select the eGPU as your preferred graphics device.

Another thing you can do is just disable the internal display and set to external only (Windows + P key)

Vasudev, RMLJD, twin snakes and 3 others like this.
  8. kfxsti

kfxsti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Spartan @Papusan @Mr. Fox @Normimb
    SooOoo.
    The tech arrives today .. Replaces the Mobo, and CPU. Device is up and running minus my Raid-0 configuration, Which I was going to do a fresh install of windows anyway. Well....We power it down he says Bye yadda yadda.. I go to power it back on about an hour later, and boom. Nothing. No lights, no flashy alien head. No anything. I ever so nicely call Dell/AW support, and explain the situation. While I am on hold for about 15 minutes, my inquiring mind had to know . SooOoo.. I open her up, looking around.. examining the damn near entire tube of thermal paste that has covered my CPU and GPU... I notice the GPU has quiet a bit of up and down play.. I remove the screws for it, and behold.. the tech had used the wrong screw.. WAYYY too long for what was supposed to have been used. The screw had made its way down to the motherboard.. breaking the corner off of a chip.. melting the plastic covering.. charring the end of the screw.. and killing absolutely everything.. yet again.. this time it got the GPU, CPU and Motherboard... and my NVME drives can't be seen by any other device I have in the house.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  9. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    2nd sound card blew tonight...after 2 hours with Dell they insist they need to replace the motherboard!!! Is there a way I'm missing to get them to just try replacing the soundcard first??? They were very inflexible on the phone.

Long version: Loud pop tonight. No sound from speakers or headphone jack.The 51m is running very hot in the area of the sound jacks and the left CTRL. Will not give an option to use realtek drivers at all...clearly SC is blown. 2 hours with dell support.... and the result.... they want to replace the motherboard!!!

Tech said its part of the MB...Explained multiple times that it has a audio daughter card. Told him their records will show I had one replaced already. I pulled up the service manual. He said thats what engineering wants to do....

Im really nervous about this.

For the record this is my 2nd significant sound card issue. Im starting to think there is a problem with soundcards.

Oh fyi...they told me its not overheating till it hits 100 degrees!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If you have a picture, maybe @Mr. Fox want add it into his AW fire hazard photo album
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...bricking-systems.781467/page-60#post-11027880
    Hope you get it fixed on next try. Good luck bro.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    raz8020, Vasudev, Mr. Fox and 3 others like this.