*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Can Dell stop with the updates already ? Didn't they get the memo? We don't need any of their update after 1.5.0 period.

They should just concentrate on their new schemes and leave us alone.

2. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I think not, try calling their support, the first thing they will ask you to do for anything is to update the BIOS. Even if you tell them your computer is overheating they will say update the BIOS. Mouse is not working all the time, update the BIOS. I think they want to ensure everyone gets crippled systems to reduce warranty claims.

Lopt, Biker Gremling, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    We already tried. Only way to install a custom BIOS is by replacing the PCH.

Boot guard will not allow unsigned BIOS installed on the Area-51m.

Supports next generation graphics in amplifier. RTX 3000 support confirmed in AMP? lol

So 2933Mhz is now available using this hack? No proper support I guess from AW.

Can you run at 3000 or 3200 as well?

Is this the AW factory image? Is it win 10 pro or home?

4. Macaiden

Macaiden Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep! You cannot achieve 3000/3200 sadly but the method I used worked for me. Also in case anyone is curious, I bought a second set of the g skill ram to max my laptops ram at 64gb. After flashing the new ram and adding it to the laptop the ram speed changed automatically from 2933mhz to 2800mhz (which explains the current offering from new versions from dell). So if 2933mhz is your goal, stick with the 2x16gb configuration

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    c69k and twin snakes like this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    That's not an Alienware ISO. It's Macrium Reflect for Backup/Recovery

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Living with a clear conscience and having the ability to look at the man in the mirror is pretty important. If integrity is not important, I suppose anything goes. Unfortunately, the absence of it is pretty common in a me-too world that revolves around situational ethics and self-entitlement.

A rhetorical scenario to consider... Would it be a good plan to buy a wrecked car, take out an insurance policy on it and then say you wrecked it the day after taking out the policy? Ignoring the fact that the pre-existing accident is most likely already a matter of public record with the ISO, NHTSA and NICB and accessible to the insurance company, would doing that be OK with you?

I think the fact that you're asking means you already know down deep inside what the answer is.

RMLJD, MogRules, Lopt and 3 others like this.
  7. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So with the recent throttling issue with command centre forcing 75c on us an having to apply workarounds to command centre to get 87c back (thanks to spartan for that workaround) I thought I’d repaste my laptop for the 1st time, I’ve had it since feb 19 I’m on bios 1.3.2 and had no burn out or any issues with it.

On opening it up I didn’t think the factory thermal paste was spread to bad compared to the a17 r4/r5 see image.. an all the pads seemed ok an be touching the components nicely. I didn’t replace those.

Having repasted though, maybe cpu temps have dropped a little avg 65c-70c depending on game at stock clocks, but gpu remains the same 81c I’m using the original vbios 190watt.

Has anyone repasted with non liquid metal paste an got any meaningful/ more noticeable reduction in temps on gpu?

I used thermal grizzzley kryonut - not because I rate it as such, in fact I think it was over hyped on the a17 r4/r5 forums but it was either that or mx4 as that is all I have.

Attached Files:

DreDre and Papusan like this.
  8. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After installing the latest OC Controls I noticed that my CPU wasn't responding to Throttlestop. Had to revert back to the version from February and tell Windows to stop the notifications from AWCC

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

Rei Fukai likes this.
  9. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Quick question, if anyone uses the RTX 2080, can you see "Integer Scaling" as an option in the nvidia control panel? Like this:

Nvidia Control Panel Integer Scaling.jpg

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It might be your driver version. I run older drivers on my desktop because they produce higher benchmark scores and are overall more reliable than newer drivers. I don't use any special features in the newer drivers because they are worthless to me. Integer Scaling is not an option.

On my turdbook performance is not all that important as long as there are no stability issues, so running newer drivers with no real concern for benchmark scores being the best they can be I see the Integer Scaling option is present with version 442.19 drivers. On the basis of that observation, it may be dependent on what GeFarts driver version you have installed.

Rei Fukai and Papusan like this.