*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Tim V.

Tim V. Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sometimes XTU and sometimes AWCC. I noticed when I use AWCC (from a profile I created for undervolt only) it changes the CPU Ratio Multiplier to x49 on seven of eight cores,so, when I don't want that I use XTU.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. Silverfeyn

Silverfeyn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello!

One more question, do any of you play games at 4k resolution on a 4K TV with HDR?

If so, do you use the HDMI port or the mini display port?

With the mini displayport + adapter everything goes butter smooth, but if I output the computer throught the HDMI port, the HDR flickers , losing and getting signal when playing games.

Just curious if someone has this "problem" too, is not really gamechanging since I can just use the mini display port and it goes just fine.

Anyone with this problem? Thanks

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    1) What did you set the Power Management in nVIDIA Control Panel under Manage 3D Settings? Optimized or Adaptive or High Performance?
    2) What Intel Graphics Driver and nVIDIA Driver versions are you using? Please list both.
    3) What BIOS version are you on?

Silverfeyn likes this.
  4. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There are huge differences between HDMI and DisplayPort bandwidth and specs.
    Even DisplayPort for example can't handle HDR above 100Hz and 5120x1440 (sub-4K resolution) because it uses all the bandwidth the Port provides. I am talking here about FULL-RGB 10bit colour scheme! NOT the compressed formats!!!!!!!
    HDMI is a pretty old port (with all the updates & variants) by today's standards :) Always use DP and everything will be waay easier ^_^

Not sure how much this helped ^_^

5. Silverfeyn

Silverfeyn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    1- I have (by default) the power management set at Optimal Power
    2- Intel driver version Versión 26.20.100.7262(from Alienware website), Latest Nvidia driver version 446.14
    3-BIOS 1.5.0, but before this, I had 1.10.0, 1.9.2 and 1.5.0, in another motherboard, because yesterday a tech from Dell came and changed the MB and Graphic card because another problem I had(2º monitor, 1080p through HDMI losing signal every 20 minutes)

I think is related to this, because of the other problem I had, yesterday Dell changed my MB and Graphic Card, and this "problem" with the HDR and the HDMI on demanding games is still here. But if I just use the Displayport, everything works just fine!

Thank you very much! :)

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    1)
    Right click on your desktop then choose nVIDIA Control Panel. Go to Manage 3D Settings from the left pane, then scroll down a bit until you see power management. If you see it's set to OPTIMAL which is the default setting when you install a driver. That's your issue.

Optimal Power means when there is no draw on the screen, the GPU clock speeds is set 0 MHz to save power and then ramps up once it needs to. Sounds great on paper, works like crap. This is the number one reason why anyone might experience crappy performance from their nVIDIA GPU. What's worse, is that's the default setting in the nVIDIA Control Panel after you install a new driver often leading people to blame the driver for bad performance when it's just the fault of nVIDIA's clowns.

Set the power management to Adaptive which puts the GPU at lower clock speeds when no GPU intensive apps are in use and it would ramp the clocks up when needed. That actually works. It's the best balance between getting lower heat from the GPU and good performance in games.

When benchmarking, for the optimal results, it's best to set the power management to High Performance.

Mind you, after you change the power management to whatever you set it to, a reboot is mandatory for the new clock speeds to take effect.

Classical nVIDIA Swiss Cheese

2) Intel Graphics Driver is fine, but stay away from the latest nVIDIA Drivers, they are full of bugs. Install this, nVIDIA Graphics Driver v26.21.14.4223

3) Yes good, I'm on 1.5.0 too. That's the best BIOS. Don't upgrade.

Try those suggestions and see if it helps

7. Silverfeyn

Silverfeyn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you!!

I will try with Adaptive mode, I will tell you if something is fixed tomorrow when I test it a little. Thanks a lot!

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Yeah, you know "upgrading" the CPU could be an easy option but I bought the laptop thinking I might actually need it on the road traveling more in a position, then I changed jobs so now my A51M sits on my kitchen counter (God bless my tolerant wife) and I still have access to my desktop. Coming from an AW 13 with a 1060 the 2070 still is at a minimum a +80% speed boost.... in some cases double. I can't complain (but sometimes I still do) as the song says. Focused now on seeing what a 3080 Ti brings to the table on the desktop front...

Its still a sh*tty move on Dell's parts to totally pull the option off their site... before even the R2 appears...

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi,

Just a quick PSA to tell you guys the very last Alienware OC Controls Application (Version 1.2.74.1238) published yesterday still allow for an UNLOCKED GPU temp slider.
    Of course, the little TRICK is still necessary to bring the slider back.

Also, yesterday I booted on the SupportAssist partition accidentally and answered "NO" to the question "Were the color bars displayed correctly?".
    Nothing huge, but when I rebooted I instantly received an e-mail from DELL Support telling me a support ticket was opened xD.

Today, they tried to call me and sent me a new e-mail suggesting me to re-do the test and send them the results.
    Furthermore, they linked me the latest 1.10 BIOS and told me to upgrade ASAP if not already done.
    PLUS, they linked me that video and told me to follow the instructions (lol).

10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Yeah when they were troubleshooting my previous motherboard with fried RAM slots, they told me to update to BIOS 1.10.0. Seems like that's the first thing they want to push customers to do. Like a BIOS would fix a fried RAM slot :eek::rolleyes:

Fire Tiger likes this.