*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Suhailap

Suhailap Newbie

Reputations:
    Good luck brother ...hope it gets fixed soon

raz8020, Papusan and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am happy for you that they will fix it under warranty. Now for performance difference in bios i hope you will stay away from downgrading after repair. I recommend 1.7.3 bios for performance. Follow @Biker Gremling guide: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-area-51m-undevor-and-overclock-guide.830857/ to improve performance and your system will perform just as good as the ones running bios 1.5.0.....untill dell finds another way to crippled those system with an update.
    I also strongly suggest you take extended warranty with Dell. As you said, they have a good warranty, but there system will fail every year or so. With extended warranty you will get it repair or replaced with a new system when it breaks....and it will.

Suhailap and Biker Gremling like this.
  3. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So can you down grade to 1.7.3 from 1.10 bios?

4. ckezema

ckezema Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well after some tomfoolery with the dell "technician", looks like ill have a repair tech coming to my home this time. After a fresh windows install and bios and drivers and everything in between updates, they are sending me a new lcd (hopefully with g sync this time) and graphics card.
    The bonus to having a tech come is I will be able to hound over him and make sure all the right things are being done and to make sure everything is working as it should when he leaves.

5. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can confirm you can dowgrade to bios 1.7.3 from: 1.9.3 or 1.8.1 (wich is not available for download at dell website).
    I have not tried downgrade from 1.10 yet but i would assume it would be no problem.
    The issue really is with bios 1.3.2 (avoid at all cost).

Biker Gremling likes this.
  6. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Um where is 1.7.3 bios available from?
    Have you repasted before the guide to max performance?

7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Its this that keeps me in the Dell camp, and the designs (sorry aesthetics matter to me, like Elon Musk lol).

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. Saryon1

Saryon1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. ckezema

ckezema Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All in all this system has been real good to me so far (rounding 1 year as of the 25th). If I wasn't a stickler for aesthetics my system would still be up and running just fine (it is running really good just no g sync). If it wasn't for the temp limit throttling in the bios and software I really wouldn't have much to complain about about this system. It does everything I ask it to do, and it does it well. All my games generally run at the 100fps rage (title dependant) and man it is still fast and in comparison significantly cooler than my 17 r3.

I am on the 1.10 BIOS and running the 180 VBIOS at the moment, and with the temp workaround the system works the way I would expect it to (slight performance dip to the 1.5.0 BIOS from my experiences)

Normimb and Docsteel like this.
  10. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    That sucks. Did it just randomly happen or did you do any changes to the laptop beforehand?