*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    gimme a while matey while I finish my [​IMG] so I can test more

Papusan likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The Lunar White color complaints will never end. It will be much worse the coming months. Dell should withdraw all machines sold with this color. Replacement machine or refund.

Odd discoloured lines on M15....won’t come off. There are 4 of them total 1 inch long around the outside case. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

................................................................................................................

Regarding faster memory options for Area-51m. You ain't alone. The Alienware desktops have exactly same compatibility problems with faster memory. I can't see this will change with the refreshed Area-51m R2
    Memory Upgrade for Aurora r10 - How to maintain 3200MHz?
    upload_2020-5-30_21-11-9.png
    Can you see undervolt offset values in TS or Hwmonitor? Check if you see Cpu package power consumption will change with undervolt. As well max out undervolt offset for your testing.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    @Wiz bit

Before unlocking the profiles.zip (read only)

before.png

After unlocking it (read only unchecked)

after.png

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Alienware Area-51m Drivers 30-May-2020

Alienware Command Center updated to v5.2.89.0
    Enhancements
    - Added feedback mechanism to allow user to provide direct feedback on their experience with Alienware Command Center.

OC Controls updated to v1.2.70.1237

Intel Management Engine Driver updated to v2007.14.0.1488

Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver updated to v1.41.823.0

Intel Integrated Solution Driver updated to v3.10.100.4122

Intel HID Event Filter Driver updated to v2.2.1.379

After you download the ZIP file and before you unzip it, make sure it is not blocked by right clicking on it, go to Properties, then see at the bottom if it says "this file came from another computer and might be blocked..." click the UNBLOCK button then hit APPLY followed by OK! To prevent Windows from blocking downloaded files automatically, make sure you read this guide:

"Are you sure you want to run this file?" [Yes or No]

The drivers are organized in numbered folders with the correct installation order.

Please restart after every driver install even if you were not prompted because some drivers will fail to install if there are any other pending operations (ie. had the Intel HID Event Filter Driver fail to install once because I did not reboot, the driver package was installed but the actual device in Device Manager was not updated)

@Fire Tiger @PDUB72

Edit: With the new Command Center and OC Controls, I am unable to unlock the GPU temp slider anymore even if I set the profiles.zip to read-only. Anyone else getting too?

Edit 2: Right, so I figured it out, it's ok to install the latest AWCC but NOT the latest OC Controls as that will lock the GPU Temp slider even if you set the Profiles.zip to read-only so I will reupload the drivers again but will leave the PC Controls at the previous version v1.2.61.1233

Edit 3: So copying Profiles.zip from the previous OC Controls version will still keep the GPU Temp slider unlocked. Thanks to @Helifax for pointing it out. I have included the previous Profiles.zip in the same OC Controls folder

@MogRules

5. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hmm.. the latest OC Controls are perfectly fine, if you swap the Profiles.Zip with the old one and Mark it as Read-Only:)
    Should I upload them here?!

Cheers!

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Oh nice find! I will save the profiles.zip then and try again tomorrow as I'm tired for today. I am on the previous version so I have the old profiles.zip but thanks

Fire Tiger, LoneSyndal and Helifax like this.
  7. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Nice find @Spartan @Helifax

Post saved so I can point others to it should it come up on Reddit.

8. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is this temperature limit stuck in the new oc controls a bug or is Dell trying to permanently paralyze area 51m R1?

Mr. Fox and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it is either a bug or dell crippling the 51m via command centre now for those of us on bios 1.50 or earlier versions such as 1.3.2 like I am an 190watt vbios. I was an early adopter to the m51 last feb an never had any issues with it.

If you look at recent posts there appears to be a solution which I will try later.

But if it doesn’t work, living in the uk I will
    contact dell support, they will make me upgrade my bios to the latest version which of course won’t work an I will do reluctantly, an then go through lots of replacement heatzinks, like the a17 r4 an r5 to stop the throttling at 75c an failing that as we all know that won’t work, hopefully they will either give in an give me a refund for a unit I’ve had well over a year or offer me a new r2.

75c throttle for a 2080 gpu is ridiculous

I’m not going down the route of repasting an repading thermals like I did with the r4 an r5, got bored of all that :)

I have to say dell uk support are good but you have to be prepared to really push them.

10. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I’m now not even getting the overclock options now ... see image

Also the profile file you say copy, is it the 1 in the picture from the profile from March overclock drivers I need to copy ? Ty

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2020