*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Macaiden

Macaiden Newbie

Reputations:
    I just want to thank @maoshen1234 and @Papusan for posting the information on how to achieve the 2933mhz ram speed with any 3000/3200 ram kit. I just purchased a set of G.Skill F4-3200C18D-32GRS and was successfully able to use thaiphoon burner to change the product details to the A-Data info on the 2933 ram that dell ships these laptops with. For those of you that are interested, the steps for making this work was relatively easy. The things you will need are as follows:

1. 3000/3200 XMP ram kit that is not write protected (I used G.Skill F4-3200C18D-32GRS)
    2. a SODIMM to DIMM adaptor (this is required since the area 51m bios does not allow memory writing).
    3. a desktop computer with DRAM writing enabled in the bios.
    4. thaiphoon burner program with pro license ($39 at the time of this posting)
    5. bios 1.8.1 or newer

Once you have these things and have the ram in your desktop computer, you can rewrite the product details of the ram using thaiphoon burner. The information you need to change under the product details were graciously provided by @maoshen1234 and @Papusan a while back in this forum.

When you open up typhoon burner. Navigate to the edit drop down and select product details. The area's that need to be changed are as follows:

1. Manufacturer set to A-Data Technology
    2. Part Number set to AO1P32MCST2-BW4S
    3. Serial Number set to B3710100
    4. DRAM Die set to stepping to B

After I made these changes and wrote the info to the ram, I popped 1 stick back in the laptop and Wala! it was running at 2933mhz. When I proceeded to add the second memory stick back into the laptop after writing the info, the speed reverted back to 2400mhz. I ended up having to re-flash the 1.9.3 bios in order to get both ram sticks working at 2933mhz. @maoshen1234 and @Papusan had previously posted the original speed file that we could have used to rewrite the XMP profile on the ram to the default A-Data XMP speed, but sadly I could not locate the speed file to try it out. However, this has not set back achieving the desired 2933mhz speed since the 3000/3200 ram kit you buy, already has it's own profile and in my case with the G.Skill ram, it is running beautifully. I wish you all luck with achieving 2933mhz ram speed and I am around if any of you have any questions.

twin snakes, ssj92, bsch3r and 9 others like this.
  2. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Any chance you could run a few benchmarks to show how much a difference this made in say a common game from 2400? I'd love to see that personally.

3. Macaiden

Macaiden Newbie

Reputations:
    I’ll do some testing and report back

Fire Tiger, jclausius and Papusan like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And please run Aida64 "Cashe and Memory benchmark". Thanks. and +rep

5. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    So - has Dell just pulled all the stock out from sales for the 2070/2080 upgrade kits for the AW A51m? I cannot find links at all to the kits to even check on prices, etc. Had a guy in sales start talking to me about a PNY 2080 blower card.... I kid you not...

EDIT: Still can't see the part online, but he cost quoted to me by chat was a whopping 1804.99+taxes..... that's just insane :confused:

Second EDIT: Then the guy has the nerve to tell me its a refurb.... for 1800? o_O

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  6. Macaiden

Macaiden Newbie

Reputations:
    here is the benchmark. Do you still happen to have the spd file for the adata ram?

Attached Files:

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Never saved it. I don't need it for any of my pc's.

8. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats just nuts! I'm sure Umar posted a Tweet in response to someone asking the same question, he more or less said they've been taken down due to this ongoing pandemic and that once this was over they should be available again but who knows. I'll see if I can find the Tweet.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/aw_umar/status/1245752031622631426?s=19

Docsteel and Papusan like this.
  9. Dookie1985

Dookie1985 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I stated how I felt I was mis sold an upgradeable laptop and that if stated originally that it would only be upgradeable within the same gen, I would have gone for a higher spec to begin with. It took around 5-6 correspondences to get that offer. But just be ready that they will stand by the fact they believe they've been very open with the R1.

Rei Fukai and SacraficeMyGoat like this.
  10. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I can't order an upgrade kit to install it myself because of the technician not being able to come to my house? What? I buy the hardware and technician? This is a bit "loco"...
    Is any other manufacturer out there not selling CPUs, Motherboards, GPUs because they don't have technicians ready?!
    The Area51M was designed to be upgraded by YOURSELF! They have the whole tear-down manual online!
    I think something else is going on... call me crazy....

Fire Tiger likes this.