*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Silentfan Thank you for the explanation! I understand it now.
    If you manage to get it to work, please let us know as I am also interested in this!

Cheers!

Fire Tiger and Silentfan like this.
  2. Wendell Augusto Borges

Wendell Augusto Borges Newbie

Reputations:

Sorry....

[​IMG]

3. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't understand what the screenshot is all about, and please stop talking about the 1.3.2 BIOS. The motherboard from my A51m was rev 1(manufactured 2018) and it got bricked. Replacement mobo is rev 2 (manufactured April 2019). Currently on BIOS 1.7.3, and it's going to stay there (despite the delivery BIOS was 1.5.4).

Enviado desde mi HTC One M9 mediante Tapatalk

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    1) If such an illustrative picture isn't enough to show you how to create macros or shortcuts and save them, then I feel sorry for you. That's about the simplest thing ever to create macros and/or shortcuts and assign them to the macro keys above the num pad or to the left of the keyboard by simply creating the shortcut, then dragging it over to the key you want it assigned to. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

2) say what you will, I have reflashed BIOS 1.3.2 more than 20 times testing every new BIOS and configuration, I can't help it if you can't follow instructions and ended up bricking your system because it is very safe for the first batch systems. You use what you want and lemme enjoy the best performing BIOS 1.3.2.

[​IMG]

ScreenShot00059.png

It's your laptop, do whatever you wish. I could care less if you want to pay top money to play with a crippled performing BIOS and laptop [​IMG]

Docsteel and RMLJD like this.
  5. Always_Wipe

Always_Wipe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Using the eGPU, it is pretty much on par with using it in a desktop. I'm using an Nvidia Titan RTX and I'm not being bottlenecked. GPU score shows I'm testing in the 90percentile region.

Docsteel likes this.
  6. Dookie1985

Dookie1985 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm interested to know. Did anyone purchase the Area 51m with a lower spec, with the intention to upgrade over time? For example, single hard drive/lower RAM/2060?

Has there been any official statement by Dell that the super series will not work with the R1 despite using the same DGFF?

Going through the official complaints procedure via dell/resolver, I'm continually met with "We did not misadvertise this product. Please consider our resolution as final stance in this case and is not open for any negotiations."

To add to the confusion, I also got this;

"The version of graphics cards you speak of (i.e. 2080 super card or 30XX card) are not even released by Nvidia and neither do we have any update to know, if they will be released any soon in the future"

Also, I asked the question regarding if I had bought a top spec Area 51m, with an RTX 2080, how the upgradeable laptop statement would apply to that. To which Dell replied;

"We regret to inform you that Dell would be unable to assume hypothetical situations in this matter."

So whatever system you have bought, seems you are stuck with it. This is the first time I have bought a system for personal use and the difference between dealing with them on a consumer basis and via business are completely worlds apart.

According to Citizens Advice (UK), they believe there is a case to claim regarding the Consumer Protection Regulations. As per these regulations, a person is within their right to request a discount between 25%-100%, if there can be proof that they have mis-sold the product. Also, they advise that you can contact the credit company and make a claim under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Only problem I have had like this came when I had an external USB plugged in... annoying.

8. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think nobody did as it's put on the market as an "Upgradrable" laptop not an "Interchangable parts" and i think that's where they make a mistake.

I also posted a comment here with exact the same thought. It's still false advertising as the 2080 cannot be upgraded. That makes it an interchangeable parts laptop not upgradeable.

Someone should make a case out if this cause they cannot and will not be able to counter the 2080 aspect of it being "upgradeable" while it's clearly not.

9. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    I think its a terrible misstep for them not to offer some kind of GPU upgrade at least on the A51M R1. Most people won't deviate on the CPU, but almost all would like more graphic oomph if they can afford to. They need to stop acting like the A51M is a money-making venture,, and quite honestly treat it like a loss-leader for halo sales on their other laptops. I am not holding out much hope for a better GPU, but with a 2070 Mobile I am at least hoping one day to land a 2080 DGFF for the R1 when and if the prices fall. Right now, I can't even find the kits anymore online... anyone else not finding them?

Rei Fukai likes this.
  10. Dookie1985

Dookie1985 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When enquiring that you can't even buy the 2080 DGFF part, this was the response;

"That said, we would like to confirm that we do sell the upgrade and you need to purchase them from our service stock inventory. These upgrades are available from Dell and we would be glad to assist you purchase them, should you want to upgrade it right away"

Anyways, I hardly manage to use mine as it was also purchased for work and play. However, my company provided me with a laptop for these purposes, and I also have a desktop PC anyways.

Dell have offered me to return it, however with a 15% depreciation value. Considering it is the lunar white and suffered from the common stain issues, and that I've owned it for about 11 months, it's probably my best option to offload. Don't think I'd get that much for it selling privately.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great laptop but they've throttled it so much (I have G-SYNC and didn't wan't to lose what I paid for by downgrading the BIOS) and the pain of using 2 powerbricks even just for the 2060, it's no longer for me.